The office of treasurer is established by state law.
Georgia Code, 50-5A-1
There is created the Office of the State Treasurer. The state treasurer shall be both appointed and removed by the State Depository Board and shall be in the unclassified service. The state treasurer shall hire the personnel for the office and shall supervise, direct, account for, organize, plan, and execute the functions vested in the office.
There are no particular qualifications required of Georgia treasurers.
The treasurer is appointed by the State Depository Board, a state agency composed of the governor, the insurance commissioner, the state accounting officer, the commissioner of banking and finance, the the commissioner of transportation, and, when the position is filled, the state treasurer himself.
The treasurer serves at the board's pleasure.
There are no term limits associated with the office of treasurer.
If a vacancy in the office occurs, the State Depository Board appoints a new officeholder.
The treasurer's office is responsible for the receipt and disbursement of state funds and lottery funds, management of the state's cash resources, Georgia Fund 1 and the Georgia Extended Asset Pool.
- Cash Management
- Georgia College Savings
In 2010, the treasurer received a salary of $130,927.
200 Piedmont Avenue
Suite 1202 West Tower
Atlanta, GA 30334
Phone: (404) 656-2168
Fax: (404) 656-9048
- Office of the Georgia Treasurer, "About Us," accessed September 12, 2011.
- Georgia Governor, "Deal names state treasurer, deputy state treasurer," October 3, 2011
- Georgia Code, "50-5A-1," accessed September 12, 2011.
- Georgia Code, "50-17-50," accessed September 12, 2011.
- Georgia Code, "50-5A-5," accessed September 12, 2011.
- Office of the Georgia Treasurer, "Home," accessed September 12, 2011.