|New Jersey State Senate District 39|
|January 10, 2014|
|Years in position||32|
|Deputy Majority Leader, New Jersey State Senate|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Next general||November 5, 2013|
|New Jersey General Assembly|
|Bachelor's||Saint John's University, 1955|
|Other||DDS, New York University College of Dentistry, 1959|
|Birthday||February 27, 1934|
|Place of birth||New York, NY|
Cardinale graduated with a B.S. in Chemistry from St. John's University. He later graduated with a D.D.S. from New York University. Cardinale has owned his dental practice, Cardinale Dental Associates, since 1959.
Cardinale's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Real Tax Reform-For All Taxes
"Gerry’s plan is simple: make sure that Bergen County taxpayers get back in school aid what they send to the state to make school funding fair and equitable. Right now, if Bergen County schools received fair and equitable funding from the state, local property taxes would be reduced by nearly 30%."
- Controlling Government Spending
"Now, Gerry Cardinale will work to impose a spending limit on government – because the politicians in Trenton can’t seem to limit themselves. Under the Cardinale plan, state spending increases can be no more than the rate of inflation. Period."
- Illegal Immigration
"By restricting public services to legal citizens, tax dollars can be better focused on other priorities: property tax relief, education, debt reduction and more. And by enforcing our laws on issues like drivers licensing, car insurance and more, we can save tax dollars in other areas as well."
- Ending Corrupt Pay to Play Politics
"All across Bergen County and New Jersey, the political patronage games played by the political bosses is costing taxpayers a fortune. That’s why Gerry Cardinale is standing up to the Bergen County Democrat machine’s efforts to sue the state and overturn pay-to-play restrictions."
- Protecting Our Community
"Gerry Cardinale opposes the misguided effort to sell out the Turnpike and Garden State Parkway because all it will mean is higher tolls for Bergen County motorists. And, he is the only State Senator from our region who opposed the Federal Aviation Administration’s efforts to re-route air traffic over our communities."
In the 2010-2011 legislative session, Cardinale served on these committees:
- See also: New Jersey State Senate elections, 2013
Cardinale ran in the 2013 election for New Jersey State Senate District 39. Cardinale was unopposed in the June 4 Republican primary and is challenged by Jane E. Bidwell (D) in the general election which takes place on November 5, 2013.
- See also: New Jersey State Senate elections, 2011
Cardinale won re-election to the District 39 State Senate seat in 2011. Cardinale was set to face Michael Cino in the June 7 primary, however, Cino's candidacy was found invalid by the Secretary of State's office and his name was removed from the ballot in late April. He then defeated Lorraine Waldes in the November 8 general election.
|New Jersey State Senate District 39 General Election, 2011|
|Republican||Gerald Cardinale Incumbent||63.5%||28,041|
In 2007, Cardinale was re-elected to the New Jersey State Senate District 39. Cardinale (R) finished with 27,623 votes and was followed by Joseph Ariyan (D) with 22,272 votes. Cardinale raised $725,688 for his campaign fund. 
|New Jersey Senate 2007 General Election, District 39 (2007)|
|Gerald Cardinale (R)||27,623|
|Joseph Ariyan (D)||22,272|
In 2011, Cardinale received $386,431 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|New Jersey State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Gerald Cardinale's campaign in 2011|
|Friends Of District 39 GOP||$8,000|
|New Jersey Dental Association||$5,400|
|Decotiis Fitzpatrick & Cole||$3,875|
|New Jersey Association Of Realtors||$3,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$386,431|
|Total Votes received in 2011||28,041|
|Cost of each vote received||$13.78|
In 2007, Cardinale collected $725,688 in donations.
Listed below are the five largest contributors to his campaign.
|Cardinale Vandervalk Rooney||$50,000|
|Cardinale, S. Gerald||$25,000|
|New Jersey Republican Party||$21,117|
|New Jersey Dental Association||$14,800|
|Lance For Senate||$8,200|
Cardinale and his wife, Carole, have five children. They currently reside in Demarest, New Jersey.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gerald + Cardinale + New Jersey + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- NJSpotlight, "Candidates: Legislative District 39," November 4, 2011
- NJSpotlight, "Legislative District 39," October 19, 2011
- Campaign website
- Official website of Gerald Cardinale
- Gerald Cardinale legislative profile on Project Vote Smart
- Gerald Cardinale biography on Project Vote Smart
- New Jersey Republican Party biography of Gerald Cardinale
- Gerald Cardinale on Facebook
- Gerald Cardinale on Twitter
- Bills Sponsored by Senators and Representatives
- Official website of Gerald Cardinale
- Issues, Friends of Senator Cardinale, Accessed May 16, 2013
- Bergen County Unofficial Primary Results, June 4, 2013
- Pasaic County Unofficial Primary Results, June 4, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, 2011 Official State Senate Primary Candidate List
- New Jersey State Senate election results
- Follow the Money - 2011 contributions