For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. Senate, New Mexico|
|Bachelor's||Brigham Young University|
Sowards is a small-business owner and U.S. Army veteran.
According to his website, Sowards' campaign platform included the following issues:
- Repeal Obamacare
- Scale back environmental regulation
- Oppose abortion
The University of Virginia's Center for Politics published an article called Sabato's Crystal Ball on March 22, 2012, detailing the eight races in the Senate in 2012 that will decide the political fate of which party will end up with control in 2013. The seat rated a toss-up that the Sabato's Crystal Ball believes is most likely to end up Democratic is the Senate seat in New Mexico. The article notes that the state has generally been leaning Democratic and did not become a race with much interest until the incumbent Jeff Bingaman announced he would retire rather than seek re-election in 2012. The Republican challenger Heather Wilson is expected to give Republicans a "fighting chance in a tough state for them".
|U.S. Senate, New Mexico Republican Primary, 2012|
- Associated Press "Gloves stay on in quiet NM Senate primary," May 24, 2012
- Associated Press "New Mexico - Summary Vote Results," June 6, 2012
- Greg Sowards campaign website "Meet Greg," Accessed May 26, 2012
- Greg Sowards campaign website "Issues," Accessed May 26, 2012
- Center for Politics "Tilting the Toss Ups – the Eight Races That Will Decide the Senate" Accessed April 9, 2012
- Huffington Post "NM-2012 Senate Democratic Primary: 51% Heinrich, 26% Balderas (Albuquerque Journal 5/21-24)," May 30, 2012
- The (Columbus) Republic "Candidates to replace retiring NM Sen. Bingaman report spending $1.6M as June 5 primary nears," May 25, 2012
- New Mexico Secretary of State "2012 Primary Results"
- Real Clear Politics "Rand Paul Backs Sowards in N.M. Senate Race," May 2, 2012