Grosse Pointe Shores City Council recall, Michigan, 2010
The recall effort is led by Robert Lee, a local resident. According to Lee, the petition targets council members who voted for a 1-mill property tax increase in June 2009. An election is expected to be held in May 2010.
Path to the ballot
The Wayne County Election Commission approved the language in the petition on October 19, 2009. In order to qualify the petition for a recall election recall supporters must collect a minimum of 400 valid signatures within 180 days of the petition language being approved.
Supporters turned in signatures and those signatures were under review by election officials in February 2010.
The recall effort needs 390 valid signatures for each targeted city council member. The recall campaign turned in 466 signatures to recall Hunt and 488 to recall Cooper.
- Detroit Free Press,"Recall petition filed over Grosse Pointe Shores tax hike," October 3, 2009
- Detroit Free Press,"Recall language approved for 2 Wayne County cities," October 20, 2009
- The Detroit News,"Effort to recall Grosse Pointe Shores council moves forward," October 26, 2009
- Detroit Free Press, "Final count on recall petitions due Wednesday", February 6, 2010
- Detroit Free Press, "Grosse Pointe Shores recall effort gets signatures OK'd", February 11, 2010