Difference between revisions of "Harrisonburg Public Schools, Virginia"
m (Text replace - " (Sunshine Review)]]" to "]]")
|Line 134:||Line 134:|
The [[Virginia Education Association]] (VEA) is the teachers union for the Commonwealth of Virginia.<ref>[http://www.veanea.org/ 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010]</ref> The VEA is affiliated with the [[National Education Association
The [[Virginia Education Association]] (VEA) is the teachers union for the Commonwealth of Virginia.<ref>[http://www.veanea.org/ 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010]</ref> The VEA is affiliated with the [[National Education Association]] (NEA).<ref>[http://www.nea.org/ 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010]</ref>
Revision as of 12:24, 28 November 2013
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- Harrisonburg City Public Schools 2009-2010 budget, including federal, state, and local revenue information, is available. The 2010-2011 budget has not yet been posted to the division website.
- School board meeting schedule, agendas for upcoming meetings, and meeting highlights are available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available via a link to the Virginia Department of Education.
- Section 5: Community Relations of the Harrisonburg City Public Schools Policy Manual includes Request for Information procedures in compliance with the Virginia Freedom of Information Act. Section 6: Human Resources includes information regarding staff evaluation procedures.
- The Comprehensive Annual Financial Report on the Harrisonburg City website includes the school board’s finances.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- The budget summary does not include revenue information.
- Meeting minutes and archived agendas are not available on the division website. Official meeting minutes can be requested from the school board office.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|Sallie Strickler, Chairman|
|Nick Swayne, Vice Chairman|
The current division superintendent is Donald Ford.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The Harrisonburg City Public Schools 2009-2010 operating budget totaled $52,026,238, with 77% of the budget was dedicated to instruction costs.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Harrisonburg City Public Schools as having a student population of 4,594 and 8 schools in the division.
Harrisonburg City Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Harrisonburg High||9 - 12||1,276||Yes|
|Keister Elementary||Pre-K - 5||476||No|
|Skyline Middle||5 - 8||514||No|
|Smithland Elementary||Pre-K - 4||415||No|
|Spotswood Elementary||Pre-K – 5||396||Yes|
|Stone Spring Elementary||Pre-K - 5||349||Yes|
|Thomas Harrison Middle||5 - 8||743||No|
|Waterman Elementary||Pre-K - 5||425||No|
- Harrisonburg City Public Schools Official Website
- City of Harrisonburg Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Harrisonburg City Public Schools’, 2009-2010 Budget, June 28, 2010
- ‘Harrisonburg City Public Schools’, School Board, June 28, 2010
- ‘Harrisonburg City Public Schools’, Administrative Employees, June 28, 2010
- ‘Harrisonburg City Public Schools’, Members of the 2010 School Board, June 28, 2010
- ‘Harrisonburg City Public Schools’, Division Report Card, June 28, 2010
- ‘Harrisonburg City Public Schools’, Policy Manual, June 28, 2010
- ‘City of Harrisonburg’, Comprehensive Annual Financial Report 2009, June 28, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- ‘Harrisonburg City Public Schools’, Summary of Actions, June 28, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Harrisonburg City Public Schools, June 28, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010