|Glossary of terms|
|Edit review process|
All 7,962 contributors to Ballotpedia have their own user page. Each registered user also has his or her own user talk page.
If you take a look at Ballotpedia's list of users, you'll see that some users don't add any information to their user page, leaving it blank. This is common for a user who has only made a few edits. People who edit Ballotpedia more regularly, or who are just starting to edit Ballotpedia but who have experience with contributing to other wiki-based websites, tend to add some information about themselves to their user page.
- See also Ballotpedia on User Contributions and User Pages.
- See also Video Tutorials about basic editing.
What do I put on my user page?
Some common items to add to a user page are:
- Your name or nickname.
- Links to Ballotpedia pages you've worked on or plan to work on. This helps you keep track of your work and projects. You can think of this as creating your own desktop or dashboard on Ballotpedia that takes you right to the pages or projects you want to be working on.
- Anything you'd like to share about what motivates you to contribute to building Ballotpedia.
- If you have a blog or a user page on another wiki, you might link to that on your Ballotpedia user page.
- Photographs of yourself, links to videos or music.
- Links to websites you like (but don't use your user page to spamdex).
User page etiquette
Generally speaking, your user page is your castle -- others usually would not edit your user page, and you would not edit another contributor's user page. (If you want to leave a note for another user, you do that by leaving a note on his or her user talk page, not his or her user page.
(Other contributors might edit your user page if you place images or information on it that violate editing norms -- for example, if you violate copyright on your page, or use it to post offensive, libelous, defamatory materials, or other forms of vandalism.)
How do I edit my user page?
Go to your user page and use normal editing procedures.
- See also: Tutorials about basic editing→
How do I find my user page?
Look up to the top right of this page, or any other page on Ballotpedia. You'll see a horizontal menu bar that displays the user name you chose when you registered. To the right of that name, you'll see the words "My talk", "My preferences", etc. If you've never written anything on your user page, then it will display in this horizontal menu bar as a red link. Click on it and use normal editing procedures, if you'd like to add information.
What are some examples of user pages?
Here are some typical user pages on Ballotpedia: