Higher Education and Career Tech Committee, Oklahoma House of Representatives
Per Section 1.8 of the House Rules, committees of the Oklahoma House of Representatives are assigned by the Speaker of the House. The rules do not specify when or how often committees are assigned. It is the speaker's responsibility to appoint the chairman and vice chairman of each standing committee, sub-committee and special committee. The speaker is an ex officio member with voting rights in all standing, special and joint committees and can be counted for purposes in determining quorum.
See rules: House Rules 2013-2014
|“||Committees and subcommittees are authorized:
1. to maintain a continuous review of the work of the state agencies concerned with their subject areas and the performance of the functions of government within each subject area; 2. to invite public officials, public employees and private individuals to appear before the committees or subcommittees to submit information; 3. to request reports from departments and agencies performing functions reasonably related to the committees’ jurisdictions; 4. to complete the interim projects assigned by the Speaker; and 5. to conduct such other business as directed by the Speaker.
The following table describes committee membership at the beginning of the 2013 legislative session.
|Higher Education and Career Tech Members, 2013|
|Democratic members (3)||Republican members (6)|
|• Mike Brown||• Harold Wright, Chair|
|• Cory Williams||• Justin Freeland Wood, Vice-chair|
|• Emily Virgin||• Terry O'Donnell|
|• Dennis Casey|
|• Pat Ownbey|
|• Lee Denney|
The following table describes committee membership for the 2011 legislative session.
|Higher Education and Career Tech Members, 2011|
|Democratic members (5)||Republican members (13)|
|• Steve Kouplen, Vice-chair||• Todd Thomsen, Chair|
|• Rebecca Hamilton||• Dennis Casey|
|• Anastasia Pittman||• Marian Cooksey|
|• Emily Virgin||• Lee Denney|
|• Cory Williams||• Elise Hall|
|• Scott Martin|
|• Lewis Moore|
|• Tom Newell|
|• Mike Reynolds|
|• Phil Richardson|
|• T. W. Shannon|
|• Randy Terrill|
|• Harold Wright|
The following table describes committee membership for the 2009 legislative session.
|Higher Education and Career Tech Members, 2009|
|Democratic members (5)||Republican members (8)|
|• Mike Brown||• Todd Thomsen|
|• Bill Nations||• Skye McNiel|
|• Jabar Shumate||• Lee Denney|
|• Rebecca Hamilton||• Marian Cooksey|
|• Anastasia Pittman||• Harold Wright|
|• Sally Kern|
|• David Dank|
|• Lewis Moore|
- Oklahoma State Legislature, "House Rule 2013-2014," accessed January 23, 2014(Rule 1.8)
- Oklahoma State Legislature, "House Rule 2013-2014," accessed January 23, 2014(Rule 7.4)
- Oklahoma State Legislature, "House Rule 2013-2014," accessed January 23, 2014(Rule 7.13)
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.