|Wisconsin State Assembly District 51|
|2011 - Present|
|January 5, 2015|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, 1976|
|Date of birth||10/03/1954|
|Place of birth||Madison, WI|
Marklein earned his BBA in Accounting from University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in 1976 and his CPA in 1978.
Marklein has been a partner at Baker Tilly (formerly Virchow Krause) since 1984 and is an expert in the area of forensic accounting and white collar crime investigation.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Marklein served on the following committees:
|Wisconsin Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Audit, Vice Chair|
|• Financial Institutions|
|• Rural Affairs|
|• Ways and Means, Chair|
|• Joint Legislative Audit|
During the 2011-2012 legislative session, Marklein served on these committees:
|Wisconsin Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Education, Vice Chair|
|• Financial Institutions|
Marklein's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Jobs: Create tax and regulatory policies that are not hostile to the businesses that create jobs.
- Health care: Points out the importance of not-for-profit community hospitals to overall community health.
- See also: Wisconsin State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for 17 seats in the Wisconsin State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 12, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 2, 2014. Pat Bomhack (D) was declared the winner of the District 17 contest on August 29 after a recount. Howard Marklein ran unopposed in the Republican primary. Marklein defeated Bomhack in the general election.
|Wisconsin State Senate, District 17 General Election, 2014|
|Wisconsin State Senate, District 17 Democratic Primary, 2014|
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2012
Marklein won re-election in the 2012 election for Wisconsin State Assembly District 51. Marklein ran unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14 and defeated Maureen May-Grimm (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 51, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Howard Marklein Incumbent||51.9%||14,279|
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2010
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 51 General Election (2010)|
|Howard Marklein (R)||10,822|
|John Simonson (D)||9,931|
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 51 Republican Primary (2010)|
|Howard Marklein (R)||4,564||99.8%|
Comprehensive donor information for Marklein is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Marklein raised a total of $280,011 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 6, 2013.
|Howard Marklein's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Wisconsin State Assembly, District 51||$168,121|
|2010||Wisconsin State Assembly, District 51||$111,890|
|Grand Total Raised||$280,011|
2012Marklein won re-election to the Wisconsin State Assembly in 2012. During that election cycle, Marklein raised a total of $168,121.
|Wisconsin State Assembly 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Howard Marklein's campaign in 2012|
|Harrop, Gary S||$750|
|Republican Party of Lafayette County||$750|
|Scheidegger, Thomas A||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$168,121|
|Source: Follow the Money|
2010Marklein won election to the Wisconsin State Assembly in 2010. During that election cycle, Marklein raised a total of $111,890.
|Wisconsin State Assembly 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Howard Marklein's campaign in 2010|
|Marklien, Howard L||$5,000|
|Marklein, Howard L||$2,566|
|Jewell, Greg A||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$111,890|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Marklein is married to Peggy, a registered nurse. He is the father of Nicole and William, and three stepchildren. He served in an elected position on the Board of Directors of a not-for-profit community hospital, and has served almost four years as Board Chair.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Howard + Marklein + Wisconsin + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Wisconsin State Legislature
- Wisconsin State Assembly
- Wisconsin State Assembly Committees
- Wisconsin Joint Committees
- Wisconsin state legislative districts
- Howard Marklein on the Wisconsin State Assembly website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign website
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Marklein on Facebook
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Candidates Registered by Office," June 11, 2014
- Marklein, "Campaign website," accessed May 6, 2014
- Madison.com, "More than 100 ballots missing in 17th Senate District primary recount," August 27, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "2014 Partisan Primary Candidates," accessed June 19, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Canvass Results for 2014 General Election," December 1, 2014
- Government Accountability Board, "2012 Fall Partisan Primary, accessed May 5, 2014
- Government Accountability Board, "2012 Fall General Election," accessed May 5, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Official 2010 Primary election results," accessed April 25, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Marklein, Howard," accessed June 6, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
|Wisconsin State Assembly District
| Succeeded by|
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |