Idaho Director of Labor
|Idaho Director of Labor|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$5,723,200|
|Length of term:||Serves at the governor's pleasure|
|Authority:||Idaho Statutes, 72-1333|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||January 2, 1995|
|Other Idaho Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Director of Lands • Labor Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current director is Roger Madsen, who was first appointed on January 2, 1995 by former Governor Phil Batt. As the director serves at the governor's pleasure, Madsen is not subject to periodic reappointment, except when a new governor takes office.
Before becoming director, Madsen was a member of the Idaho Senate from 1988 to 1990 and 1992 to 1994. He was an assistant attorney general at the Idaho Department of Employment from 1976 to 1980. Madsen holds a J.D. from Brigham Young University, an M.B.A. from the American Graduate School of International Management, an M.A. from Brigham Young University, and a B.A. from Washington State University.
The office of director is established by state law.
Idaho Statutes, 72-1333
(1) The director shall administer the employment security law ... the minimum wage law ... and shall perform such other duties relating to labor and workforce development as may be imposed upon him by law.
There are no particular qualifications for the office of director, but state law requires that the governor "select each director on the basis of his professional and administrative knowledge and experience."
There are no term limits associated with the office of director.
The director is the administrative head of the Idaho Department of Labor, the state agency charged with administering the state's labor regulations, as well as its unemployment insurance and workforce development programs. Additionally, the department produces statistics and research regarding the state's labor market.
- Admin Services
- Unemployment Insurance
- Communications and Research
- Regional Offices (1-6)
- Workforce Development
The budget for the Department of Labor in Fiscal Year 2013 was $5,723,200.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Idaho + Director + of + Labor
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
317 W. Main Street
Boise, ID 83735
Phone: (208) 332-3570
Fax: (208) 334-6300
- Idaho Department of Labor, " Agency History," accessed June 15, 2013
- Idaho Public Television, "Opinion: Director of the Department of Labor, Roger Madsen, makes another save," accessed June 12, 2013.
- State Impact, "Meet Idaho Department of Labor Director Roger Madsen," accessed September 27, 2012
- Idaho Statutes, "72-1333," accessed October 4, 2011.
- Idaho Statutes, "67-2404," accessed October 4, 2011.
- Idaho Department of Labor, " Agency Summary," accessed June 15, 2013
- Idaho Department of Labor, "Organizational Chart," accessed October 4, 2011.
- ‘Budget Publications’’’ “State of Idaho 2012 Legislative Fiscal Report for Fiscal Year 2013,” 5.31, accessed June 20, 2013.