For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Idaho Secretary of State
Idaho State Executives
| Governor • Lieutenant Governor |
Secretary of State • Attorney General
Treasurer • Controller
Superintendent of Public Instruction
Director of Lands
Public Utilities Commission
- 1 Current officeholder
- 2 Qualifications
- 3 Elections
- 4 Vacancies
- 5 Duties
- 6 Divisions
- 7 Compensation
- 8 Electoral history
- 9 Contact Information
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
The current secretary of state is Ben Ysursa, a Republican, who was first elected on November 5, 2002, and re-elected in 2006 and 2010. Ysursa's third term began on January 3, 2011, and he will next come up for re-election in 2014.
Before becoming secretary of state, Ysursa was Idaho's chief deputy secretary of state from 1976 to 2002. He was a deputy secretary of state from 1974 to 1976. Ysursa holds a bachelor's degree from Gonzaga University and a J.D. from St. Louis University Law School. He and his wife, Penny, have three children.
- at least 25 old
- a United States citizen
- a resident of Idaho at least two years prior to the election
No person shall be eligible ... to the office of secretary of state, state controller, or state treasurer, unless he shall have attained the age of twenty-five years; ... In addition to the qualifications above described each of the officers named shall be a citizen of the United States and shall have resided within the state or territory two years next preceding his election.
Idaho elects secretaries of state to four year terms in federal midterm election years, that is, even years that are not presidential election years. Thus, 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018 are all election years. Winners take office on the first Monday in the January following an election. Thus, January 3, 2011 and January 5, 2015 are inaugural days.
If two candidates ever tie in the general election, a joint session of the legislature chooses the winner by a majority vote.
- See also: States with gubernatorial term limits
Per Article IV, Section 6 of the Idaho Constitution, the governor appoints a replacement to any state office where a vacancy occurs, subject to the approval of the Idaho Senate. The appointee serves until the next general election.
The secretary of state's responsibilities include:
- Registering business entities
- Administering the state's application of the Uniform Commercial Code
- Running Idaho's elections
- Licensing notaries public
- Registering trademarks
- Operating the state's health care and will registries
- Publishing various state documents, including state law
- Legislative Affairs
- Business Entities
- Liens - UCC
- Notar, Apostilles and Authentications
In 2010, the secretary of state received a salary of $103,984. The secretary's salary is determined by law.
|2002 Race for Secretary of State - Republican Primary |
|Republican Party||Ben Ysursa||66.3%|
|Republican Party||Evan S. Frasure||33.7%|
|2002 Race for Secretary of State - General Election |
|Republican Party||Ben Ysursa||77.5%|
|Libertarian Party||Ronald E. Perry||22.5%|
- 2006 Race for Secretary of State - Republican Primary and General Election
- Ben Ysursa ran unopposed in both contests
- 2010 Race for Secretary of State - Republican Primary
- Ben Ysursa ran unopposed in this contest
- 2010 Race for Secretary of State - Democratic Primary
- Mack Sermon ran unopposed in this contest
|2010 Race for Secretary of State - General Election |
|Republican Party||Ben Ysursa||74.3%|
|Democratic Party||Mack Sermon||25.7%|
Office of the Secretary of State
Post Office Box 83720
Boise ID 83720-0080
Phone: (208) 334-2300
Fax: (208) 334-2282
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Bio of Ben Ysursa," accessed September 28, 2011.
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Home," accessed September 28, 2011.
- Idaho Secretary of State Election Division - 2002 Republican Primary Election Results
- Idaho Secretary of State Election Division - 2002 General Election Results
- Idaho Secretary of State - 2010 General Election Results