Idaho down ballot state executive elections, 2014
May 20, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General
Treasurer, Controller, Superintendent
Idaho is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Parties decide who may vote. The Democratic Party allows unaffiliated voters to vote in their primary. The Republican Party allows only voters registered with their party. Unaffiliated voters can choose to affiliate with a party on election day, but they will be bound to that party at the next election as well.
|Office||Incumbent||Assumed Office||Incumbent running?||General Election Candidates||2014 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
||1999||Yes|| Ron Crane
|Superintendent of Public Instruction||Tom Luna
||2007||No|| Sherri Ybarra
The treasurer is the chief financial officer and banker of monies collected by Idaho. The treasurer's duties include "receiving all state monies, redeeming warrants, accounting for the receipt and disbursement of public funds, investing idle state monies, issuing state tax anticipation notes, investing local government and agency monies and acting as custodian for worker’s compensation insurance securities on deposit with the state and custodian of the Endowment Public School Income Fund.."
The treasurer also serves on a number of state boards and commissions, including the Board of Canvassers, the Commemorative Silver Medallion Committee, the Bank Bond Board, the College Savings Program Board, and the Idaho Credit Rating Enhancement Committee.
The controller, as the state's chief fiscal officer, is responsible for:
- Maintaining all accounting and financial records
- Paying all the state's bills and employees
- Preparing the state's annual financial report
- Operating the state's Computer Service Center
The controller was once known as the state auditor; the position was renamed by a [[Idaho Change State Auditor Title, SJR 109|1994 ballot measure]. The controller remains responsible for operating internal pre-audit accounting controls. The remainder of the state's audit duties are carried out by the state legislature's audit division.
Superintendent of Public Instruction
The superintendent is the administrative head of the Idaho Department of Education, which operates the state's public school system. He is also responsible for implementing the policies of the state Board of Education.
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- KMVT.com, "Treasurer Ron Crane announces bid for re-election," March 3, 2014
- The Idaho-Statesman, "Otter, McGrane, Toryanski, Woodings among earlier filers for 2014 Idaho election," March 3, 2014
- State EdWatch, "Idaho K-12 Chief Tom Luna Announces He Won't Seek Another Term in 2014," January 27, 2014
- The Idaho Spokesman, "Idaho schools chief Tom Luna won't seek re-election," January 28, 2014
- Idaho State Treasurer's Office, "About Us," accessed September 29, 2011.
State of Idaho
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Lands | Director of Labor | Public Utilities Commission |