Difference between revisions of "Idaho school districts"
|Line 46:||Line 46:|
School districts in Idaho are split into five categories: elementary school districts, school districts (city/county), joint school districts, specially chartered school districts and junior college districts. Elementary school districts are considered grades one through eight and school districts grades
School districts in Idaho are split into five categories: elementary school districts, school districts (city/county), joint school districts, specially chartered school districts and junior college districts. Elementary school districts are considered grades one through eight and school districts grades through 12. All school districts may include kindergarten instruction. There no separate secondary school districts under present law.<ref>[http://www2.census.gov/govs/cog/2007/id.pdf ''United States Census,'' "Idaho," accessed July 10, 2014]</ref>
Revision as of 09:23, 10 July 2014
|K-12 Education in Idaho|
|State Superintendent: Tom Luna|
|Number of students: 279,873|
|Number of teachers: 15,990|
|Teacher/pupil ratio: 1:17.5|
|Number of school districts: 149|
|Number of schools: 762|
|Graduation rate: 92%|
|Per-pupil spending: $6,824|
|Idaho State Department of Education • List of school districts in Idaho • Idaho • School boards portal|
|Education policy project|
|Public education in the United States |
Public education in Idaho
Glossary of education terms
Idaho is home to 762 schools and 279,873 K-12 students.
State school administrators
- State Board of Education
The following table displays the state's top seven school districts by total student enrollment.
|1.) Joint School District|
|2.) Boise School District|
|3.) Nampa School District|
|4.) Pocatello-Chubbuck School District No. 25|
|5.) Coeur d'Alene Public Schools|
|6.) Idaho Falls School District No. 91|
|7.) Bonneville Joint School District No. 93|
The following table displays the ethnic distribution of students in Idaho as reported in the National Center for Education Statistics Common Core of Data for 2011-2012.
|Demographic Information for Idaho's K-12 Public School System|
|Ethnicity||Students||State Percentage||United States Percentage**|
|Hawaiian Nat./Pacific Isl. Students||963||0.34%||0.42%|
|Two or More||4,717||1.69%||2.54%|
|**Note: This is the percentage of all students in the United States that are reported to be of this ethnicity.|
School board composition
School board members are elected by residents of the school district. School boards in Idaho generally consist of five members that serve four-year terms. However, there is no state law denoting how many board members a district may have or how long the terms need be.
School districts in Idaho are split into five categories: elementary school districts, school districts (city/county), joint school districts, specially chartered school districts and junior college districts. Elementary school districts are considered grades one through eight and school districts grades one through 12. All school districts may include kindergarten instruction. There no separate secondary school districts under present law.
Idaho does not impose statewide term limits on school board members.
School board elections
- See also: Idaho school board elections, 2014
The district listed below served 25,107 K-12 students during the 2010-2011 school year, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Click on the district name for more information on the district and its school board election.
|2014 Idaho School Board Elections|
|District||Date||Seats up for election||Total board seats||Student enrollment|
|Boise School District||9/2/2014||3||7||25,107|
- School board elections portal
- United States school districts
- List of school districts in Idaho
- Idaho State Department of Education
- Public education in Idaho
- Idaho Secretary of State
- Idaho State Department of Education
- Idaho School Board Association
- Idaho Education Association
- Idaho Federation of Teachers
- National Center for Education Statistics school district search tool
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Table 2. Number of operating public schools and districts, state enrollment, teacher and pupil/teacher ratio by state: School year 2011–12," accessed March 18, 2014
- ED Data Express, "State Tables Report," accessed March 17, 2014 The site includes this disclaimer: "States converted to an adjusted cohort graduation rate [starting in the 2010-2011 school year], which may or may not be the same as the calculation they used in prior years. Due to the potential differences, caution should be used when comparing graduation rates across states."
- United States Census Bureau, "Public Education Finances: 2011," accessed March 18, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "State Education Data Profiles," accessed August 15, 2013
- United States Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, "Common Core of Data (CCD), State Nonfiscal Public Elementary/Secondary Education Survey, 2011-2012," accessed May 7, 2014
- State of Idaho, "Idaho Statutes," accessed July 10, 2014
- United States Census, "Idaho," accessed July 10, 2014
- New York Times, "Idaho Legislature Repeals Term Limit Law, Undoing Voter-Approved Measure," February 2, 2002
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Elementary/Secondary Information System," accessed March 21, 2014
State of Idaho
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Lands | Director of Labor | Public Utilities Commission |
Idaho State Board of Education | Idaho school districts |