Idaho signature requirements
The signature requirements are as follows: The number of signatures required is equal to 6% of the registered voters as of the last general election.
Basis of calculation
For an initiated state statute or a veto referendum, signatures collected on petitions must be equal to 6% of qualified electors in the last general election. In November 2010, there were 790,531 such voters.
- For recall, signatures equal to 20% of eligible voters in the last election for the office to be recalled, are required in signatures. The petition must be circulated within 75 days. Judicial officers cannot be recalled.
Geographic distribution ruled unconstitutional
A geographic distribution of signatures used to be required, but was held unconstitutional in 2001 and upheld by the court of appeals in 2003. There are currently no distribution laws in Idaho for petition signatures.
For initiated state statutes or veto referendums, the deadline to submit signatures is either 18 months after receiving an approved ballot title from the Secretary of State or April 30, 2012 (if scheduled on the 2012 ballot), whichever is earlier. .
- Proposed initiatives
- Idaho Initiative Instructions from the Secretary of State's official web site
- Overview of recall provisions
- NCSL signature chart for 2008
- Idaho signature requirements collated by the Citizens in Charge Foundation
- ↑ Idaho Secretary of State "2010 General Election Results"
- ↑ Idaho Secretary of State "Initiative and Referendum for Ballot Status November 8, 2012"
- ↑ [Confirmed with Idaho Secretary of State via phone on January 24, 2011]