Illinois' 13th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
March 18, 2014
Cook Political Report: Lean R
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Lean R
Illinois is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Voters do not have to register with a party, but they do have to choose, publicly, which party's ballot they will vote on at the primary election.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Rodney Davis (R), who was first elected in 2012.
Illinois' 13th Congressional District makes up a stretch of the central portion of the state. It includes Calhoun, Greene, Jersey, Macoupin, Madison, Montgomery, Christian, Sangamon, Macon, Dewitt, Piatt and Champaign counties.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
General election candidates
March 18, 2014, primary results
Not on ballot
Withdrew prior to primary
Declined to run
Democratic Super PAC House Majority PAC listed incumbent Rodney Davis as one of 10 they were targeting as vulnerable incumbent Republicans in 2014, with the focus on those holding competitive seats.
David Gill (D) considered a rematch against Rodney Davis in 2014. On May 3, 2013, Gov. Pat Quinn named Gill as assistant director of the Illinois Department of Public Health, and Gill confirmed that he would not seek the 13th District seat again.
Democrats are seeking to take the seat from Republicans in 2014. The district, redrawn in the 2012 redistricting process, picked up portions of Bloomington, Champaign, Springfield and the Metro East area.
Ad campaign on climate change
League of Conservation Voters ad released August 12, 2013, against Mike Coffman, "Ostrich Ad"
The League of Conservation Voters launched a nearly $2 million TV ad campaign on climate change on August 12, 2013, aimed at three House Republicans -- Mike Coffman (R-CO), Dan Benishek (R-MI) and Rodney Davis (R-IL) -- and Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.).
“This is the African Ostrich,” says the narrator of the ad running in the district of Mike Coffman. “Tall, flightless, head in the sand. And this is Congressman Coffman, also with his head in the sand — on climate change.” The ad goes on to call Coffman “extreme.” Democrats are targeting Coffman’s 6th district seat, and have recruited former state house Speaker Andrew Romanoff (D) for the race.
According to campaign finance reports from April 2013, Rep. Rodney Davis (R) raised $401,00 and had $334,000 cash-on-hand. In reports from July 2013 Davis reported raising more than $450,000 during the second quarter, bringing him to more than $700,000 cash-on-hand going into 2014, in what is expected to be one of the most competitive House contests of the cycle.
|U.S. House, Illinois District 13 General Election, 2012|
|Source: Illinois Board of Elections "2012 General Election Official Vote Totals"|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Illinois Congressional District 13 Election, 2010|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Illinois, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed August 5, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 5, 2014
- Fairvote, "FairVote Releases Projections for the 2014 Congressional Elections," accessed August 5, 2014
- Board of Election Commissioners for the City of Chicago, "2014 Primary: Frequently Asked Questions," accessed January 2, 2014
- June 2011 Illinois Redistricting "Map" accessed July 23, 2012
- Illinois Election Division, "Michael Firsching," accessed November 27, 2013
- News-Gazette "Harold moving back to C-U, will announce political plans soon" accessed May 21, 2013
- Politico "Ex-Miss America to run for Illinois House seat" accessed June 4, 2013
- Belleville News-Democrat "Chief Judge Callis resigns; Gill declines to run in 13th District again" accessed May 6, 2013
- Belleville News-Democrat "Callis confirms she will run for Congress" accessed May 9, 2013
- News Gazette "Dems meet potential Davis challengers" accessed April 30, 2013
- WICS "Another Candidate Joins 13th Congressional Race" accessed July 25, 2013
- The Telegraph "Physicist joins 13th Congressional District race" accessed July 25, 2013
- News Observer "Physicist joins Illinois' 13th District race" accessed July 25, 2013
- News Gazette "UI physicist joins race for 13th District" accessed July 25, 2013
- Progress Illinois, "Third Democrat Jumps Into 13th Congressional District Race," accessed October 7, 2013
- Facebook.com, "Candidate Josh Dill," accessed January 13, 2014
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate Detail," accessed March 17, 2014
- Illinois Elections Division, "Bill Byrnes," accessed November 27, 2013
- Sunshine State News "Democratic Super-PAC Targets Steve Southerland" accessed March 8, 2013
- Watchdog.org, "Democrats really want Illinois’ 13th Congressional District," accessed November 27, 2013
- Washington Post, "Environmental group launches $2 million ad campaign on climate change," accessed August 12, 2013
- Roll Call "Illinois: Rodney Davis Raises $401K in First Quarter" Accessed April 17, 2013
- Roll Call "Freshman Rodney Davis Raises $450,000 #IL13" Accessed July 9, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"