Illinois' 17th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
March 20, 2012
Candidates wishing to run were required to file by the signature filing deadline of December 27, 2011. The primary elections were held on March 20, 2012.
Illinois' 17th congressional district covers much of west central Illinois, including the cities of Sterling, Rock Island, Moline, Kewanee, Galesburg, Canton, Macomb, Quincy, Springfield and Decatur, and areas in Henry, Whiteside, Rock Island, Mercer, Knox, Warren, Henderson, Fulton, McDonough, Hancock, Adams, Pike, Calhoun, Greene, Jersey, Macoupin, Madison, Montgomery, Christian, Sangamon, Macon, Shelby, and Fayette counties.
Heading into the election the incumbent was Bobby Schilling (R), who was first elected in 2010.
General election candidates
March 20, 2012, primary results
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Illinois
With the 2011 redistricting, Illinois lost 1 of its current 19 House seats because the state's population failed to grow as fast as in other states. Illinois has had 11 Republican congressmen and 8 Democrats since the November 2010 election. The new map, designed by the dominant Democrats, could flip that advantage to as many as 12 Democrats and only six Republicans.
|U.S. House of Representatives, Illinois' 17th Congressional District, 2010|
|Republican||Robert T. Schilling||52.6%||104,583|
|Green||Roger K. Davis||4.5%||8,861|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Illinois, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- Greg Aguilar's Campaign Website
- Cheri Bustos' Campaign Website
- George Gaulrapp's Campaign Website
- Eric Reyes' Campaign Website
- Bobby Schilling's Campaign Website
- Quad-City Times "Augustana official joins 17th District race" accessed December 15, 2011
- ABC News 7 "Election Results Primary 2012" accessed March 20, 2012
- Quad-City Times "Illinois’ 17th District field taking shape" accessed December 15, 2011
- WIFR.com "Freeport Mayor Announces Run for Congress" accessed December 15, 2011
- Quad-City Times "Hare rules out another run for Congress" accessed December 15, 2011
- Quad-City Times "RI attorney announces congressional run" accessed December 15, 2011
- WIFR.com "Gaulrapp and Reyes Still in the Congressional Race" accessed March 15, 2012
- Eric Reyes for Congress "STATEMENT OF ERIC REYES ON ANSWERING THE CALL OF VOTERS FOR AN INDEPENDENT CANDIDATE" accessed March 15, 2012
- Chicago Tribune "Odd geography in new Illinois congressional map:Millions of constituents will find their representative has changed" Accessed February 22, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"