|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012 FY Budget:||$109,800,600|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Illinois Constitution, Article V, Section 1|
|Name:||Judy Baar Topinka|
|Assumed office:||January 10, 2011|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other Illinois Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Comptroller • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Natural Resources Director • Labor Director • Illinois Commerce Commission|
Article V, Section 1
|Officers: The Executive Branch shall include a Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Comptroller and Treasurer elected by the electors of the State. They shall keep the public records and maintain a residence at the seat of government during their terms of office.|
Here is a list of the standard qualifications necessary under Illinois State Law in order to be considered for the Comptroller's office:
- To be eligible to hold the office of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Comptroller or Treasurer, a person must be:
According to Article V, Section 2 of the state constitution, state comptrollers shall hold office for four years beginning on the second Monday of January after their election and until their successors are qualified. They shall be elected at the general election in 1978 and every four years thereafter.
Article V, Section 7 of the Illinois Constitution addresses vacancies in the office of comptroller. If the comptroller...fails to qualify or if his office becomes vacant, the Governor shall fill the office by appointment. The appointee shall hold office until the elected officer qualifies or until a successor is elected and qualified as may be provided by law and shall not be subject to removal by the Governor.
The controller's main duties include maintaining the state's fiscal accounts, ordering payments into the treasury, and issuing warrants against any funds held by the treasurer.
Article V, Section 17, Comptroller - Duties: "The Comptroller, in accordance with law, shall maintain the State's central fiscal accounts, and order payments into and out of the funds held by the Treasurer."
The comptroller office is further split into six departments:
- The taxpayer information and consumer affairs department
- The cemetery care department
- The local government department
- The public accountability
- The research and fiscal department
- The electronic commerce department
The budget for the Office of the State Comptroller in Fiscal Year 2012 was $109,800,600
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Illinois Comptroller has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Illinois + Comptroller
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Emanuel appoints new Chicago comptroller - WAND
- Illinois' past-due bills climb once more - KWQC 6
- Appeals Court Affirms Dixon Comptroller's Sentence - NBC Chicago
- 7 metro-east cities and fire districts fail to file TIF reports - Belleville News Democrat
- Breakups need not be bitter - Saukvalley
- IPFW extending search for athletic director - News Sentinel
- Illinois Lawmakers Poised To Rush Vote On Controversial Pension Reform ... - Progress Illinois
- Finke: Pension reform a work in progress - Peoria Journal Star
- Gov. Quinn signs Illinois same-sex marriage bill, as bishop conducts `exorcism' - STLtoday.com
- Ruling could threaten pensions in New York - Corning Leader
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Springfield, IL 62706-0001
Phone: (217) 782-6000
- Judy Baar Topinka
- Illinois Governor Pat Quinn
- Lieutenant Governor of Illinois
- Illinois Attorney General
- Illinois Secretary of State
- Illinois State Controller's Office
- The Ledger, State of Illinois financial records, reports and analyses
- ↑ Illinois Office of Comptroller "Biography" Accessed July 28, 2012
- ↑ Illinois Department of Comptroller "Departments" Accessed July 28, 2012
- ↑ Operating Budget Book“Illinois State Budget Fiscal Year 2013,” 5.39, accessed June 20, 2013.
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved September 5, 2012