For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Illinois State Senate District 55
|Illinois State Senate District 55|
|Current incumbent||Dale Righter|
|Ethnicity||2.9% Black, 1.8% Hispanic|
|Voting age||78.2% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 213,429 civilians reside within Illinois' fifty-fifth state senate district. Illinois state senators represent an average of 217,468 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 210,496 residents.
About the chamber
Members of the Illinois State Senate serve four-year terms and are not subject to term limits. Under the Illinois Constitution of 1970, Senators are divided into three groups, each group having a two-year term at a different part of the decade between censuses, with the rest of the decade being taken up by two four-year terms. Depending on the election year, roughly ⅓, ⅔, or all of the senate seats may have terms ending. Illinois legislators assume office the second Wednesday in January.
Article IV of the Illinois Constitution states: To be eligible to serve as a member of the General Assembly, a person must be a United States citizen, at least 21 years old, and for the two years preceding his election or appointment a resident of the district which he is to represent.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Illinois House of Representatives are paid $67,836/year. Additionally, legislators receive $111/day per diem.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, the Illinois Constitution mandates that the seat must be filled by appointment when allowed by law. The appointment must be made within 30 days after the vacancy. If a vacancy by a member of the senate has more than twenty-eight months remaining in the term, the appointment is interim until the next general election and in this case, a special election must be held to fill the balance of the unserved term. All other senate vacancies should be made by appointment with the person appointed being a member of the same political party that last held the seat.
The vacancy must be filled by the respective party organizations covering the legislative district. This must be voted on by the respective committeemen and committeewomen representing the legislative district.
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Illinois State Senate consisted of a primary election on March 20, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 5, 2011. Incumbent Dale Righter (R) was unopposed in both the general election and Republican primary.
|Illinois State Senate, District 55, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Dale Righter Incumbent||100%||78,776|
Since 2000, candidates for Illinois State Senate District 55 have raised a total of $3,017,752. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $335,306 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Illinois State Senate District 55|
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- publicmapping.org, "Illinois 2010 Census Statistics," accessed October 9, 2013
- Article IV of the Illinois Constitution (Section 2a describes term length for senators)
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Illinois General Assembly, "Illinois Constitution," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Section Article IV, Section 2(d))
- Illinois General Assembly, "Illinois Election Code," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 10 ILCS 5/25 6 (a), (c))
- Illinois General Assembly, "Illinois Election Code," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 10 ILCS 5/25 6 (d))
- "Illinois State Board of Elections - Official Primary Election Results," accessed October 9, 2013
- "Illinois State Board of Elections - Official General Election Results," accessed October 9, 2013