Illinois Superintendent of Education
|(5 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
|Line 24:||Line 24:|
Latest revision as of 14:55, 5 August 2013
|Illinois Superintendent of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012 FY Budget:||$10,398,133,400|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the Illinois Board of Education|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the Illinois Board of Education|
|Assumed office:||December 1, 2006|
|Other Illinois Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Comptroller • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Natural Resources Director • Labor Director • Illinois Commerce Commission|
Article X, Section 2:
|State Board of Education - Chief State Educational Officer
Chapter 105, Article 1A-4, Section B of the Illinois Compiled Statues establishes the qualifications of the office:
|The Board shall determine the qualifications of and appoint a chief education officer, to be known as the State Superintendent of Education, who may be proposed by the Governor and who shall serve at the pleasure of the Board and pursuant to a performance-based contract linked to statewide student performance and academic improvement within Illinois schools.|
- qualifications set by Board of Education.
- meets performance measures set out in a contract that are based on student performance and academic improvement.
While the governor can propose a Superintendent of Education, the State Board of Education has the appointing power, as described in Article X of the Illinois Constitution. The members of the board, in turn, are appointed by the governor. The superintendent serves at the pleasure of the board.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Illinois Superintendent of Education has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The superintendent, along with the board of education, sets educational policies and guidelines for public and private schools, preschool through grade 12, as well as vocational education. It analyzes the aims, needs and requirements of education and recommends legislation to the General Assembly and Governor.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Illinois Superintendent of Education has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The budget for the State Board of Education for the 2012 fiscal year was $10,398,133,400.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Illinois Superintendent of Education has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Illinois + State + Superintendent + Education
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Consolidation costs region school official - Belleville News Democrat
- Vose tries to ward off expanded education region - The State Journal-Register
- Bridgeport Superintendent Tapped By Illinois Governor As Running Mate - Hartford Courant
- Aging Boiler Plant at Brooks Middle School Needs to Go: Report - Patch.com
- Election field complete in Richland County - Olney Daily Mail
- Eanes superintendent to retire in August - Austin American-Statesman
- Naperville D203 debates process for approving new sports - Chicago Tribune
- Stories planned for the Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013, Herald-Whig - Quincy Herald Whig
- Regional education office consolidation affects Knox; two existing regional ... - Peoria Journal Star
- Local officials weigh in on pension bill's passage - The State Journal-Register
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
The Illinois State Board of Education has two offices:
100 N. 1st Street
Springfield, IL 62777
Phone: (866) 262-6663
100 W. Randolph
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: (312) 814-2220
- ↑ Illinois State Board of Education "Mission Statement" Accessed December 20, 2012
- ↑ Illinois State Board Of Education, "Dr. Christopher A. Koch," accessed August 14, 2012
- ↑ Illinois Compiled Statutes, "Chapter 105, Act 5: School Code, Article 1A," accessed August 5, 2013
- ↑ Illinois State Board of Education "State Board of Education" Accessed December 20, 2012
- ↑ State of Illinois, "Fiscal Year 2013 Budget Fact Sheet," 51, accessed June 26, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved September 5, 2012
- ↑ Illinois State Board of Education "Divisions" Accessed December 20, 2012