For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Illinois Treasurer and Comptroller Amendment (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The measure is sponsored by Sen. Kwame Raoul.
Both current Treasurer Dan Rutherford and Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka supported the proposed measure. "Consolidation of the offices of comptroller and treasurer will improve efficiency, save on personnel and office costs and deliver the long-term benefit of more timely state investments," said Topinka said. In regard to the proposal, Rutherford said, "If government can be more efficient by having less officers and departments and so forth, then government should do that."
Sen. Matt Murphy said the proposal went beyond monetary savings, "The value of this goes beyond that $12 million. We send a message to the people of this state that we are willing to participate in rolling back spending."
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the Illinois Constitution
To qualify for the 2012 ballot, the measure required approval by both the House and the Senate. On March 31, 2011 the Senate voted 55-0 in favor of the proposal. According to reports, the measure never made it out of the House Rules Committee. However, the measure may be revisited in any special session or the next regular legislative session.
- Chicagoist,"Everyone Wants to Merge Comptroller, Treasurer's Offices But Madigan," December 30, 2011
- Journal Star,"Our View: Give voters a chance to merge treasurer, comptroller offices," April 10, 2011
- The Telegraph,"Senate votes to merge treasurer, comptroller offices," March 31, 2011
- The State Journal-Register,"Senate votes to combine offices of treasurer, comptroller," April 1, 2011
- Illinois General Assembly,"SJRCA 13 Senate reading," March 31, 2011
- WJBC,"Bill to combine offices of Illinois treasurer and comptroller stalls in House," June 6, 2011