Illinois down ballot state executive elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
March 18, 2014
Illinois is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Voters do not have to register with a party, but they do have to choose, publicly, which party's ballot they will vote on at the primary election.
|Office||Incumbent||Assumed Office||Incumbent running?||General Election Candidates||2015 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
||2011||No|| Mike Frerichs
|Comptroller||Judy Baar Topinka
||2011||Yes|| Sheila Simon
Judy Baar Topinka
- Michael Scott Carter - Financial executive, U.S. Navy veteran
- Tom Cross - State Rep. and House Minority Leader
- Bob Grogan - DuPage County Auditor, CPA
- Mike Frerichs - State Sen.
Article V, Section 18, Treasurer - Duties: "The Treasurer, in accordance with law, shall be responsible for the safekeeping and investment of monies and securities deposited with him, and for their disbursement upon order of the Comptroller."
The main duty performed by this office is investing the state money collected and distributing it as needed. The office also offers programs to help state citizens with their own financial well being such as classes to help manage money. A college savings program is also run by the office to help students in need as well as keeping track and returning unclaimed property.
The controller's main duties include maintaining the state's fiscal accounts, ordering payments into the treasury, and issuing warrants against any funds held by the treasurer.
Article V, Section 17, Comptroller - Duties: "The Comptroller, in accordance with law, shall maintain the State's central fiscal accounts, and order payments into and out of the funds held by the Treasurer."
- Board of Election Commissioners for the City of Chicago, "2014 Primary: Frequently Asked Questions," accessed January 2, 2014
- The Southern, "Rutherford announces gov. campaign in Southern Illinois," June 2, 2013
- Judy Baar Topinka 2014 Official campaign website, "Press release:TOPINKA DELIVERS ‘COMMON SENSE’ TO MT. VERNON, LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN," September 17, 2013
- Michael Scott Carter for Treasurer 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed September 30, 2013
- The State Journal-Register, "Cross to announce bid for treasurer Wednesday," September 17, 2013
- Bob Grogan for Treasurer 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed September 30, 2013
- The State Journal-Register, "Illinois Sen. Frerichs plans run for treasurer," June 21, 2013
- CBS Local - Chicago, "2014 Governor Candidates To Choose Running Mates," August 24, 2013
- ABC7 News, Julie Fox, Candidate for Illinois Comptroller, accessed September 25, 2013
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |