Illinois lieutenant gubernatorial election, 2014
November 4, 2014
March 18, 2014
Illinois is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Voters do not have to register with a party, but they do have to choose, publicly, which party's ballot they will vote on at the primary election.
Note: The following list of candidates is not official and will continue to be updated until the 2014 candidate filing deadline. Candidates will be added as we come across them prior to the deadline. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
First term incumbent Sheila Simon (D) is eligible for re-election, but early in 2013, she said she would not run for re-election as Lt. Governor in 2014. Instead, Simon said she would seek a new office that would allow her to have a "greater impact." She did not name what that office would be. While she has not said what that office will be, it is believed Simon may be interested in the state's attorney general post, which would be vacant if current AG Lisa Madigan (D) runs for governor as she is expected to.
On April 11, 2013, the Illinois House of Representatives approved a proposal seeking to eliminate the position of lieutenant governor by constitutional amendment. In order for the measure to be passed, it must win approval of both the State Senate and Illinois voters. If the proposal is approved in a statewide public vote, the office will remain intact for one final term following the 2014 election.
- Lieutenant Governor of Illinois
- Illinois state executive official elections, 2014
- State executive official elections, 2014
- Board of Election Commissioners for the City of Chicago, "2014 Primary: Frequently Asked Questions," accessed January 2, 2014
- ChicagoBusiness.com, "Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn taps Paul Vallas for running mate," November 8, 2013
- Independent Political Report, "Libertarian Party of Illinois holds annual state convention," September 23, 2013
- Chicago Tribune, "Simon will not run again for lieutenant governor," February 13, 2013
- Chicago Magazine, "What Happens After Lieutenant Governor Sheila Simon Quits Pat Quinn’s Team," March 26, 2013
- The Chicago Tribune, "House votes to eliminate lieutenant governor post," April 12, 2013
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |