Independence Institute v. Colorado Secretary of State
Independence Institute v. Colorado Secretary of State is a federal lawsuit filed in 2010 in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado. The plaintiffs in the case seek to have a federal judge determine whether several key provisions of Colorado House Bill 1326 (2009) are unconstitutional under the U.S. Constitution.
Federal district judge Philip Brimmer issued a 39-page preliminary injunction on June 11, 2010, forbidding the state of Colorado from enforcing several key provisions of Colorado House Bill 1326 (2009). Judge Brimmer's order, in particular, found that the provisions of HB 1326 that ban compensating petition circulators on a pay-per-signature basis
Plaintiffs in the case are:
- The Independence Institute
- Jon Caldara of the Independence Institute.
- Dennis Polhill
- Jessica Corry (who worked on behalf of Colorado Civil Rights Initiative, Amendment 46 (2008))
- Mason Tvert
- Russell Haas
- Douglas Campbell
- Louis Schroeder
- Scott Lamm (of Lamm Consulting)
- Albie Hurst (of Lamm Consulting)
- Daniel Kennedy
- Judge Brimmer's June 11 preliminary injunction in Independence Institute v. Colorado Secretary of State