Indiana Election Commission
The Election Commission is governed by a four person board.
Selection of members
The Governor of Indiana is responsible for nominating the members. In order to be a member of the Election Commission, a member must be hold membership in a major political party and must be a registered voter in Indiana. Nominations are taken off the recommendations of the respective state party chairpersons. No more than 2 members can be from either party.
Campaign finance discipline
The Election Commission is responsible for all disciplinary action towards civil violations of Indiana's campaign finance laws. The first step in filing a complaint is to file with the Indiana Secretary of State. The Secretary of State's campaign finance staff investigates the complaint fully. If it is determined that a civil violation may have happened, the complaint is referred to the election commission. The Election Commission can hold a hearing to subpoena individuals related to the matter. If its determined by the commission that discipline is warranted, the Commission can petition to a court for civil action.
- Campaign finance requirements for Indiana ballot measures
- Indiana Attorney General
- Indiana Secretary of State
- Official website of Indiana Election Commission
- 2010 Indiana Campaign finance manual
- Indiana Campaign Finance database
- Indiana General Assembly "Indiana Elections Code"(Referenced Statute 3-6-4.1-1)
- Indiana General Assembly "Indiana Elections Code"(Referenced Statute 3-6-4.1-2 Sec. 2(a))
- Indiana General Assembly "Indiana Elections Code"(Referenced Statute 3-6-4.1-2 Sec. 2(b)-(c))
- Indiana Secretary of State "Indiana Election Commission"(See Members}
- [Details confirmed via email on 1-21-2010 with Indiana Secretary of State]
- Indiana Code "Indiana Campaign Finance Law"(Referenced Statute IC 3-6-4.1-21 Sec. 21 C (2) and 3-6-4.1-22 Sec. 22)
State of Indiana
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | State Examiner | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utility Regulatory Commission |