Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction
Indiana State Executives
| Governor • Lieutenant Governor |
Secretary of State • Attorney General
Auditors: Auditor • Examiner
Superintendent of Public Instruction
Natural Resources Director
Utility Regulatory Commission
The Superintendent is the director of the state Department of Education and serves on the state board of education.
The current officeholder is Tony Bennett (R). He was elected in 2008, with his term expiring in 2012.
Under Article 8, Section 8:
There shall be a State Superintendent of Public Instruction, whose method of selection, tenure, duties and compensation shall be prescribed by law.
3-8-1-10.5 of the Indiana Code lists the following qualification for state superintendent of public instruction:
- Reside in Indiana for at least two years prior to the election.
Indiana elects superintendent of public instruction in the Presidential elections, that is, in leap years. For Indiana 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 are all superintendent of public instruction election years. The four-year term begins on the second Monday in January following the election.
|Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Tony Bennett Incumbent||47.2%||1,190,716|
|Election Results via Indiana Secretary of State.|
The Office of the State Superintendent includes the following six divisions:
- Office of Accounting
- Office of Communications
- Office of Human Resources
- Office of Legal Affairs
- Office of School Data Reporting
- Office of School Financial Management
Indiana Department of Education
151 West Ohio Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
- Indiana Code, "IC 3-8-1-10.5 State superintendent of public instruction," accessed November 26, 2011
- Indiana Code, "IC 3-10-2-6 Year for election of governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, and superintendent of public instruction," accessed November 26, 2011
- Indiana Department of Education, "Search," accessed November 26, 2011