Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$8,890,125|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Indiana Constitution, Article 8, Section 8|
|Assumed office:||January 14, 2013|
|Next election:||November 8, 2016|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other Indiana Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditors: Auditor • Examiner • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Director • Labor Commissioner • Utility Regulatory Commission|
The Superintendent is the director of the state Department of Education and serves on the state board of education.
Under Article 8, Section 8:
There shall be a State Superintendent of Public Instruction, whose method of selection, tenure, duties and compensation shall be prescribed by law.
3-8-1-10.5 of the Indiana Code lists the following qualification for state superintendent of public instruction:
- Reside in Indiana for at least two years prior to the election.
Indiana elects superintendent of public instruction in the Presidential elections, that is, in leap years. For Indiana 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 are all superintendent of public instruction election years. The four-year term begins on the second Monday in January following the election.
|Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Tony Bennett Incumbent||47.2%||1,190,716|
|Election Results via Indiana Secretary of State.|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
As head of the Indiana Department of Education, the Superintendent of Public Instruction is responsible for ensuring the duties of the department are fulfilled. The department's duties include state statues, as well as policies determined by the state Board of Education. Additionally, the department conducts research to aid in the development of educational policies, and compiles basic statistics about ethnicity, gender and disability status of Indiana public school students. Enrollment numbers and number of suspensions and expulsions are also recorded by the department. Expuslsions and suspensions are recorded according to their causes (i.e. alcohol, drugs, deadly weapons, etc.).
The superintendent has additional authority over school lunch programs and the distribution of surplus agricultural commodities.
The Office of the State Superintendent includes the following six divisions:
- Office of Accounting
- Office of Communications
- Office of Human Resources
- Office of Legal Affairs
- Office of School Data Reporting
- Office of School Financial Management
The Department of Education's budget was $8,890,125 for the 2013-2014 fiscal year. The total budget for education for the 2013-2014 fiscal year was $10,591,242,723.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Indiana + Superintendent + Public + Instruction
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Indiana Department of Education
151 West Ohio Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
- Indiana Department of Education, " Superintendent," accessed July 5, 2013
- Courier Press, "Incoming education chief Glenda Ritz plans easy transition," January 13, 2013
- Indiana Code, "IC 3-8-1-10.5 State superintendent of public instruction," accessed November 26, 2011
- Indiana Code, "IC 3-10-2-6 Year for election of governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, and superintendent of public instruction," accessed November 26, 2011
- Indiana Code, "Chapter 3. Department of Education," accessed August 16, 2013
- Indiana Code, "IC 20-19," accessed August 16, 2013
- Indiana Department of Education, "Search," accessed November 26, 2011
- 2013 - 2015 As-Passed Budget, "C--Operating," VII-10, accessed June 26, 2013