Difference between revisions of "Iowa's 1st Congressional District elections, 2014"
|Line 12:||Line 12:|
Revision as of 07:25, 28 October 2013
November 4, 2014
June 3, 2014
Cook Political Report: Likely D
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Likely D
Iowa is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. The primary is closed, but voters are allowed to change their political party affiliation on election day.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Bruce Braley (D), who was first elected in 2006. Braley is not seeking re-election to the U.S. House in 2014. He plans to run for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by retiring Sen. Tom Harkin.
Iowa's 1st Congressional District covers the northeastern part of the state. The district includes Worth, Mitchell, Howard, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Clayton, Fayette, Bremer, Black Hawk, Buchanan, Delaware, Dubuque, Jackson, Jones, Linn, Benton, Iowa, Poweshiek, Marshall and Tama counties.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
General election candidates
June 3, 2014, primary results
- Jeff Danielson - State Sen. District 10
- Steve Sodders - State Sen. District 36
- William Dotzler - State Sen. District 31
- Pam Jochum - President of the Iowa State Senate
- Tyler Olson - State Rep. District 65
- Paul Pate - Former Iowa Secretary of State and two-term mayor of Cedar Rapids
Withdrew from race
Declined to run
- Liz Mathis - State Sen. District 24
- Kraig Paulsen - Speaker of the state house
- Ben Lange - 2012 candidate for the 1st District
- Jason Welch - John Deere Employee and 2010 candidate
Kajtazovic received endorsements from same-sex marriage advocate Zach Wahls and former Hawkey and pro football player Tim Dwight. She also received the endorsement of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW). UFCW Locals 431 and 1149 represents over 2,500 workers in the 1st District.
“We are endorsing Representative Kajtazovic because she understands better than anyone the concerns of Iowa’s working families,” UFCW Locals 431 and 1149 said. “She shares the experience of arriving to Iowa as an immigrant with many of our members. She has seen our struggles firsthand and will fight every day to give all Iowans the opportunity to achieve the American Dream...We know she will fight for us because she is one of us,” the union said in its endorsement."
|U.S. House, Iowa District 1 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Bruce Braley Incumbent||56.9%||222,422|
|Independent||George Todd Krail II||0.2%||931|
|Source: Iowa Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
On November 2, 2010, Bruce Braley won re-election to the United States House of Representatives. He defeated Benjamin M. Lange (R), Rob J. Petsche (L), and Jason A. Faulkner (I) in the general election.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Iowa, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed August 5, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 5, 2014
- Fairvote, "FairVote Releases Projections for the 2014 Congressional Elections," accessed August 5, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State Website, "Voter Registration FAQ," accessed January 3, 2014
- 'Desmoines Register, "Register Exclusive: Bruce Braley weighs bid for governor," January 13, 2013
- Iowa Redistricting Map "Map" accessed July 24, 2012
- Marion Patch "Rod Blum Enters First Congressional District Race" accessed March 28, 2013 (dead link)
- Politics1 "Iowa's 1st Congressional District" accessed April 22, 2013
- Gail Boliver for Congress, "Home," accessed January 13, 2014
- Des Moines Register "Democrat Dave O’Brien running for Congress" accessed July 10, 2013
- TH Herald, "Pat Murphy to run for Congress," February 13, 2013
- Bleeding Heartland "IA-01: Democrat Monica Vernon is in" accessed June 5, 2013
- Marion Patch "A Return to Election Politics for Swati Dandekar?" accessed May 22, 2013
- Des Moines Register "Dandekar joins race for congressional seat" accessed July 26, 2013
- KWWL "State Rep. Anesa Kajtazovic explores run for U.S. House" accessed July 9, 2013
- The Gazette, "Anesa Kajtazovic formally entering Iowa 1st District Democratic race," accessed August 20, 2013
- The DesMoines Register, "Pat Murphy to run for Congress," February 13, 2013
- WCFCourier.com, "Iowa state senator announces plans to run for Braley's House seat," March 9, 2013
- Sioux City Journal, "Iowa's U.S. House 1st District GOP field doubles; Pate, Rogers join race," accessed September 16, 2013
- CT post, "State Rep. Walt Rogers of Iowa quits US House race," accessed March 1, 2014
- WCF Courier, "Cedar Falls State Rep. Walt Rogers forms group to probe run for Congress," accessed September 16, 2013
- Daily Iowan, "Rep. Walt Rogers throws his hat in the ring," accessed September 27, 2013
- Des Moines Register "Handful of Democrats eyeing Braley seat in northeast Iowa" accessed May 22, 2013
- The Gazette "Paulsen confirms he’s considering 2014 U.S. House 1st District race" accessed May 29, 2013
- Des Moines Register, "Iowa House Speaker Kraig Paulsen will not run for Congress," accessed August 9, 2013
- Dubuque Telegraph Herald, "Iowa House Speaker Paulsen will not run for 1st District seat," accessed August 9, 2013
- TH Online, "Lange says he will not run for Congress in 2014," accessed June 24, 2013.
- Iowa Republican "First Congressional Race" accessed April 22,2 013
- The Gazette, "Food workers union endorses Kajtazovic in Iowa 1st District race - See more at: http://thegazette.com/notes/government/20131024/food-workers-union-endorses-kajtazovic-in-iowa-1st-district-race/#sthash.z93WtWSo.dpuf," accessed October 28, 2013
- Des Moines Register "Democrat Monica Vernon raises nearly $104,000 for race for Congress" Accessed July 11, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed November 5, 2011