Iowa Director of Education
|Iowa Director of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||June 24, 2013|
|Other Iowa Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Secretary of Agriculture • Director of Education • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Director • Labor Commissioner • Utilities Board|
The department was created by the 35th General Assembly in 1913 and was originally called the Department of Public Instruction. The current name was adopted in 1986.
The current interim officeholder is Duane Magee. Governor Terry Branstad appointed Magee - the executive director of the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners - to serve as a temporary replacement for resigned director Jason Glass while they search for someone to officially take over the position. Glass' term was not set to expire until 2015, but he left office early in order to become superintendent of the Eagle County School District.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that authorizes the creation of a state executive office. That information for the Iowa Director of Education has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The director is appointed by the Governor for a four-year term and is subject to confirmation by the Iowa State Senate.
The director is responsible for providing leadership for the Department of Education. The director also serves as the executive officer of the State Board of Education.
The vision and mission statements of the Department of Education are as follows:
Vision: Iowa students will become productive citizens in a democratic society, and successful participants in a global community.
Mission: Champion excellence for all Iowa students through leadership and service.
The Department of Education is divided into three main units:
- Community Colleges
- PK-12 Education
- School Support & Information
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Iowa + Director + Education
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Iowa Department of Education
400 E 14th St
Des Moines, IA 50319-0146
- Iowa Department of Education "About the Director" Accessed February 1, 2013
- Office of the Governor of Iowa Terry Branstad, "Branstad names D.T. Magee as interim director of the Iowa Department of Education," June 18, 2013
- Iowa Department of Education, "Statement from State Board of Education President Rosie Hussey on Director Glass," May 22, 2013
- The Gazette, "Glass leaving Iowa Department of Education post,"May 22, 2013
- Iowa Department of Education, About the Department
- Iowa Department of Education "Divisions" Accessed February 1, 2013