Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|New York State Senate, District 2|
|[Campaign website Campaign website]|
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2010
Bernstein was uncontested in the September 14 primary. He was defeated by incumbent Republican John J. Flanagan in the general election on November 2. In addition to running on the Democratic ticket, Bernstein ran on the Working Familes ticket.
- Education: Bernstein is against reducing pensions for teachers and other public employees. He opposes expanding charter schools. He also opposes furloughs and lower salaries for public employees -- notably teachers. Bernstein opposes the efforts of his opponent to make budget cuts to education.
- Taxes: Bernstein wants Wall Street to pay higher taxes
- MED, Education, Bradley University, 1965
- MS, Economics, Columbia University, 1972
- BS, Science, Stonybrook University
25 years working in the Commack School District and a member of the AFL/CIO & NYSUT.
- Vice President, Brookhaven Senior Advisory, 2006-2009
- Member, NASD Financial Advisor, NYSUT, 1970-present
- Member, Ronkonkoma Revitalization Committee, 2008-2009
Selden,New York 11784
- Candidate homepage
- Newsday Senate page for District 2 election
- Official campaign website
- Official Project Vote Smart Biography
- Congress.org profile of Ira Bernstein
- Smithtown Patch, "Candidates Discuss Local and National Issues at Chamber Event," October 18, 2010
- League of Women Voter's debate video