Difference between revisions of "Irene Aguilar"
m (Text replace - "Open=|" to "")
|Line 120:||Line 120:|
Revision as of 03:44, 4 December 2012
|Colorado State Senate, District 32|
|2011 - Present|
|January 12, 2013|
|Years in position||3|
|Base salary||$30,000 per year|
|Per diem||$45/$99 per day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||January, 2011|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||8 years|
Jerry's kids bill
Jeanne Nicholson sponsored a bill in the 2011 session to give right of way throughout Colorado to police officers and firefighters who approach passing motorists for Jerry's Kids on Labor Day weekend.
Senate bill 270, approved by the Senate Local Government Committee, clarifies when and where public-safety personnel, such as firefighters, can solicit funds from motorists. Local governments would be required to approve permit applications submitted by firefighters to do their fundraising on roadways.
Nicholson contends her bill is really about public safety.
“As long as we can say when and where—this bill protects firefighters and others by law,” said Nicholson. “Because they are professionals, they are aware of the public-safety of the situation.”
The measure overrules local laws and authority in this matter.
Sen. Ellen Roberts said passage of the proposed measure would “open a Pandora’s Box.” Sen. Irene Aguilar, who is also concerned, said she would support SB270 for the time being but would seek additional input.
“I am voting yes because I came in here today saying I would but will need to talk more with (legislative staff),” said Aguilar.
Sen. Bill Cadman opposed the bill and said the measure raised a question of local control—and a constitutional one.
“(SB-270) is a total usurpation of local control. It tries to carve out an exemption from local laws, for a specific group, raising serious constitutional issues,” said Cadman. “It’s a good public service but bad public policy…the ends don’t justify the means.”
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Aguilar has been appointed to these committees:
- Business, Labor and Technology Committee, Colorado State Senate, Vice Chair
- Health and Human Services Committee, Colorado State Senate
- Local Government Committee, Colorado State Senate
- See also: Colorado State Senate elections, 2012
Aguilar won re-election in the 2012 election for Colorado State Senate District 32. She ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on June 26, 2012. She defeated Roger Logan (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012. 
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Irene + Aguilar + Colorado + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Irene Aguilar's personal website
- Colorado State Senate - Rep. Irene Aguilar
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart bio
- denverpost.com Senate District 32 up for grabs, November 30, 2010
- "A bill for Jerry’s kids—and fundraising firefighters," Colorado News Agency, May 3rd, 2011
- Colorado Secretary of State, - 2012 Primary Candidate List
- Colorado Secretary of State, Official Primary Election Results
|Colorado State Senate District 32
| Succeeded by|