J. Gary Pretlow
|J. Gary Pretlow|
|New York State Assembly District 87|
|1993 - Present|
|January 7, 2013|
|Years in position||21|
|Per diem||$61/half day and $171/full day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||Baruch College, 1974|
|Place of birth||New York, NY|
Pretlow is a financial planner with Moncur-Pretlow and Company. His professional experience also includes assistant controller of The Limited; manager of accounting for Bloomingdale's; accountant; insurance sales; and stock broker.
Prelow earned an AS from Queensborough and a BBA from Baruch College. He and his wife, Donna, have one child; James.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Pretlow has been appointed to the following committees:
- Cities Committee, New York State Assembly
- Codes Committee, New York State Assembly
- Insurance Committee, New York State Assembly
- Racing and Wagering Committee, New York State Assembly, Chair
- Rules Committee, New York State Assembly
- Ways and Means Committee, New York State Assembly
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Pretlow served on the following committees:
- Cities Committee, New York Assembly
- Codes Committee, New York Assembly
- Insurance Committee, New York Assembly
- Racing and Wagering Committee, New York Assembly
- Rules Committee, New York Assembly
- Ways and Means Committee, New York Assembly
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2012
Pretlow is running in the 2012 election for New York State Assembly District 89. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on September 13, 2012. He is also running on the Working Families Party and Independence Party of New York State tickets. No candidates filed to run in the Republican primary. The general election takes place on November 6, 2012. 
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2010
Pretlow ran unopposed in the September 14 Democratic primary. Pretlow defeated Samuel Rivers (Independence) in the general election on November 2. In addition to running on the Democratic ticket, he ran on the Working Familes ticket.
|New York State Assembly, District 87 2010|
|J. Gary Pretlow (D)||16,196|
|Samuel Rivers (Independence)||1,459|
On November 4, 2008 Pretlow won re-election to the New York State Assembly, District 87, defeating opponents Ralph Pearson (C) and Ernest Boaten (WF).
Pretlow raised $67,250 for his campaign while Pearson and Boaten each raised $0.
|New York State Assembly, District 87 2008|
|Gary Pretlow (D)||30,417|
|Ralph Pearson (C)||1,212|
|Ernest Boaten (WF)||901|
In 2010, Pretlow received $99,840 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|New York State Assembly 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to J. Gary Pretlow's campaign in 2010|
|Communications Workers Local 1182||$5,250|
|New York State United Teachers||$4,800|
|NY Thouroughbred Racing Industry||$4,600|
|New York State Thoroughbred Breeders Association||$4,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$99,840|
In the 2008 election, Pretlow raised a total of $67,250.
His five largest contributors in 2008 were:
|1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East||$3,800|
|New York State Podiatric Medical Association||$3,500|
|New York State Trial Lawyers||$2,500|
|Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker||$2,000|
|Lynch, Patricia J||$2,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Gary + Pretlow + New York + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York Assembly - Rep. J. Gary Pretlow
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Pretlow
- State of New York, State Board of Elections, Candidate Petition List, retrieved August 15, 2012.
- ABC News, "New York unofficial 2012 primary election results," accessed September 13, 2012
- New York Times NY state legislative election results
- Follow the Money's report 2008 Campaign donations in New York
- Follow the Money - 2010 contributions
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|New York Assembly - District 87
| Succeeded by|
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |