|Illinois State Senate District 16|
|2003 - Present|
|January 12, 2013|
|Years in position||12|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Master's||Spertus College, Harvard University (2001), Harvard Divinity School (2003)|
|Place of birth||McComb, Mississippi|
Collins graduated with her Bachelor's degree from Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism and earned two Masters degrees at Harvard, an Master's in Theological Studies from Harvard Divinity School in 2003 and a Master's in Human Services Administration from Spertus College.
Before becoming a Senator, Collins served as a Policy Fellow for then Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton in 2001 and served as Communications Director for Rainbow PUSH Chairman Rev. Jesse Jackson in 1986. Collins also worked in TV and Radio for WBBM-AM in Chicago from 1978 to 1986 as an Engineer and worked for WBBM-TV 2 as a TV News Editor from 1986 to 1999.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Collins has been appointed to these committees:
- Committee of the Whole, Illinois Senate
- Financial Institutions Committee, Illinois State Senate, Chair
- Insurance Committee, Illinois State Senate, Vice Chair
- Pensions and Investments Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Redistricting Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Subcommittee on Pension Enhancements
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Collins served on these committees:
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Collins is running for re-election to the 16th District seat in the Illinois State Senate in 2012. She was unopposed in the Democratic Primary on March 20 and is unopposed in the general election, which will take place on November 6, 2012.
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2010
|Illinois State Senate, District 16 (2010)|
|Jacqueline Collins (D)||42,253||100.0%|
Collins ran unopposed in the Democratic primary election on February 2nd.
|Illinois State Senate, District 16 (2006)|
|Jacqueline Collins (D)||43,349|
|Matthew Szydagis (R)||3,686|
In 2010, Collins received $54,158 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Illinois State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Jacqueline Collins's campaign in 2010|
|Service Employees Healthcare Illinois Indiana||$3,500|
|Illinois Trial Lawyers Association||$2,000|
|Illinois Bankers Association||$2,000|
|AFSCME Illinois Council 31||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$54,158|
In 2006, Collins collected $59,382 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to her campaign.
|Friends of Clayborne||$5,000|
|Illinois Trial Lawyers Association||$2,500|
|Illinois Federation of Teachers||$2,000|
|Chicago Teachers Union||$2,000|
|Illinois Bankers Association||$2,000|
|Illinois State Medical Society||$1,500|
|Illinois Credit Union League||$1,300|
|Community Bankers Association of Illinois||$1,000|
|Crown Food Inc.||$1,000|
|Illinois Education Association||$1,000|
|Mayer Brown Rowe & Maw||$1,000|
|Citizens for John Cullerton||$1,000|
|Illinois Hospital & Health Systems Association||$1,000|
|Luking & Associates||$1,000|
Collins represents Illinois Senate District 16. District 16 includes the Chicago Area near the Dan Ryan Expressway.
Collins is single and resides in Chicago, Illinois.
- Sen. Collins's website
- Biography from the Illinois General Assembly
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- "Illinois General Assembly" List of Illinois Senate Committees, July 28, 2009
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- 2010 Illinois General Election Results
- 2010 Illinois Primary Election Results
- Illinois Senate election results for 2006
- Follow the Money - 2010 contributions
- Collins Campaign Donors
- "Illinois Chamber of * Commerce Committee, Illinois State Senate, Northeast Illinois Legislative District Maps, July 29, 2009
|Illinois Senate District 16
| Succeeded by|