|U.S. House, Illinois, District 9|
|January 3, 1999-Present|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||16|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign|
|Date of birth||May 26, 1944|
|Place of birth||Chicago, Illinois|
|Profession||Non-Profit Program Director|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Committee assignments
- 4 Issues
- 5 Elections
- 6 Campaign donors
- 7 Analysis
- 8 Recent news
- 9 Personal
- 10 External links
- 11 References
- 1999-Present: U.S. House of Representatives, Illinois' 9th congressional district
- 1985-1990: Director, Illinois State Council of Senior Citizens
- 1976-1985: Program Director, Illinois Public Action
Schakowsky serves on the following committees:
Schakowsky served on the following committees:
- Energy and Commerce Committee
- Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade
- Subcommittee on Health
- Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
- House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
Schakowsky voted for the fiscal cliff compromise bill, which made permanent most of the Bush tax cuts originally passed in 2001 and 2003 while also raising tax rates on the highest income levels. She was one of 172 Democrats that voted in favor of the bill. The bill was passed in the House by a 257/167 vote on January 1, 2013.
Schakowsky won re-election in November. Schakowsky was running in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Illinois' 9th District. Schakowsky had sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket. The signature filing deadline was December 27, 2011, with the primary taking place on March 20, 2012.
Schakowsky defeated challenger Simon Ribeiro in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012. Candidate Timothy Wolfe run unopposed in the Republican primary and will face Schakowsky in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|U.S. House, Illinois District 9 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Jan Schakowsky Incumbent||66.3%||194,869|
|Source: Illinois Board of Elections "2012 General Election Official Vote Totals"|
|U.S. House, Illinois' 9th Congressional District Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Janice Schakowsky Incumbent||91.9%||48,124|
|Jan Schakowsky (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|Pre-Primary||March 8, 2012||$353,372.15||$54,382.44||$(90,715.50)||$317,391.09|
|April Quarterly||April 11, 2012||$317,391.09||$111,199.62||$(47,569.34)||$381,021.37|
|July Quarterly||July 12, 2012||$381,021.37||$233,377.33||$(217,558.65)||$396,840.05|
|October Quarterly||October 14, 2012||$396,840.35||$153,334.39||$(169,321.56)||$380,853.18|
|Pre-General||October 25, 2012||$380,853.18||$34,953.06||$(76,124.79)||$339,681.45|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Illinois' 9th Congressional District, 2010 - Jan Schakowsky Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$677,066|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$703,272|
|Top contributors to Jan Schakowsky's campaign committee|
|Jenner & Block||$13,250|
|Sidley Austin LLP||$12,100|
|State of Illinois||$10,850|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
Congressional Staff Salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Schakowsky paid her congressional staff a total of $1,219,538 in 2011. She ranks 8th on the list of the highest paid Democratic Representative Staff Salaries and she ranks 8th overall of the highest paid Representative Staff Salaries in 2011. Overall, Illinois ranks 46th in average salary for representative staff. The average U.S. House of Representatives congressional staff was paid $954,912.20 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Schakowsky's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $10,024 and $404,999. That averages to $207,511, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Representatives in 2011 of $5,107,874. Her average net worth decreased by 6.95% from 2010.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Schakowsky's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $12,025 and $433,999. That averages to $223,012, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Representatives in 2010 of $4,465,875.
National Journal vote ratings
- See also: National Journal vote ratings
Each year National Journal publishes an analysis of how liberally or conservatively each member of congress voted in the previous year. Schakowsky ranked 46th in the liberal rankings.
Percentage voting with party
Janice D. Schakowsky voted with the Democratic Party 93 of the time, which ranked 77 among the 192 House Democratic members as of November 2011.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Janice + Schakowsky + Illinois + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Schakowsky resides in Evanston, Illinois, with her husband Robert Creamer. She has three children, Ian, Mary, and stepdaughter Lauren Creamer, and four grandchildren, Isabel, Eve, Lucy, and William.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Financial (state level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Works by or about:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- ABC News 7 "Election Results Primary 2012" Accessed March 20, 2012
- Gov Track "Schakowsky" Accessed May 18, 2012
- Office of the Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer "Hoyer Announces Whip Team for the 113th Congress," January 4, 2013
- Congresswoman Jan Schakowksy Representing the 9th District of Illinois "About Jan" Accessed November 2, 2011
- CQ.com, "House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress"
- U.S. House "Roll Call Vote on the Fiscal Cliff" Accessed January 4, 2013.
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Illinois"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- FEC Reports "Jan Schakowsky Summary Reports" Accessed July 9, 2012
- FEC Reports "Pre-Primary" Accessed July 9, 2012
- FEC Reports "April Quarterly" Accessed July 9, 2012
- FEC Reports "July Quarterly" Accessed October 3, 2012
- FEC Reports "October Quarterly" Accessed November 21, 2012
- FEC Reports "Pre-General" Accessed November 21, 2012
- Open Secrets "Janice D. Schakowsky 2010 Election Cycle," Accessed November 2, 2011
- LegiStorm "Jan Schakowsky"
- OpenSecrets.org, "Schakowsky (D-Ill), 2011"
- OpenSecrets.org, "Schakowsky, (D-Illinois), 2010"
- National Journal, "Searchable Vote Ratings Tables: House," February 23, 2012
- OpenCongress, "Voting With Party," accessed July 2014
- Jan Schakowsky Democrat for Congress "About" Accessed November 2, 2011
|U.S. House of Representatives - Illinois, District 9
| Succeeded by|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |