|Virginia Senate District 32|
|1991 - Present|
|January 11, 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2007|
|Next general||November 8, 2011|
|Place of birth||Washington, DC|
Howell received a B.A. at Oberlin College and M.A. at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Privileges and Elections, Chair
- Courts of Justice
- Education and Health Committee
- Finance Committee
- Senate Rules
Howell represents Virginia Senate District 32. Senate District 32 includes Fairfax County(part).
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Howell raised $241,951 for her campaign.
|Virginia State Senate, District 32 (2007)|
|Janet Howell (D)||28,089||97.17%|
Below are Howell's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2007 election:
|Suzann W. Matthews||$15,000|
|Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association||$7,500|
|Dominion (Energy & Natural Resources)||$7,500|
|MVM Inc. (Security)||$5,000|
Howell's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Children and Families
- Excerpt: "Among her many accomplishments for children and families, Janet authored the legislation to set up the nation’s first online sexual predator registry. She headed the Commission to Prevent Family Violence that totally overhauled Virginia’s response to family violence."
- Quality Education
- Excerpt: "As a former public school teacher and PTA leader, Janet fights to improve Virginia's public schools and universities by reducing class size, hiring and retaining the best and brightest teachers, and securing funding for new facilities and programs."
- Equitable Taxes
- Excerpt: "Janet has succeeded in reducing taxes on cars, food, taxpayers 62 and older, over-the-counter medicines and non-profit organizations."
- Excerpt: "Janet is fighting to balance our region's growth and its infrastructure. She has implemented ingenious methods of funding transportation at low cost to taxpayers."
- Job Creation
- Excerpt: "Janet works with business leaders to assure our region's economic vitality. She is called "the Technology Senator" and has received more awards from that industry than any other legislator."
- Personal Decisions
- Excerpt: "Janet believes government has no business in personal, family decisions. End-of-life decisions are best made by families and doctors without government interference. Janet strongly defends a woman's right to choose.
Howell was born in Washington, D.C. on May 7, 1944.
- Sen. Howell's website
- Biography from the Virginia Legislature
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions:1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007
|Virginia Senate District 32
| Succeeded by|