|Kansas State Senate District 25|
|2001 - present|
|January 14, 2013|
|Years in position||14|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|First elected||November 7, 2000|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|High school||Independence High School|
|Bachelor's||University of New Mexico (1972)|
|Master's||University of New Mexico (1973)|
|Ph.D.||Wichita State University (1981)|
|Date of birth||June 11, 1950|
|Place of birth||Cherry Point, North Carolina|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Recent news
- 8 Personal
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Jean Schodorf is a Republican member of the Kansas State Senate, representing the 25th District since 2001. She is currently the Assistant Majority Whip. From 1989 to 2000, she was on the Board of Education for Unified School District 259 and was the Board President in 1993, 1997 and 1999.
On September 4, 2012, following her defeat in the Kansas State Senate District 25 Primary, Schodorf announced plans to change her party affiliation. She has not yet revealed whether she will register as a Democrat or Independent.
Schodorf was born on a Marine Corps base in North Carolina and grew up on a family farm in Independence, Kansas. She works as a speech and language pathologist with children and senior citizens in the Wichita area. She served on the Wichita school board for 12 years, including three years as board president.
- Bachelor's degree in Communicative disorders, University of New Mexico
- Master's degree in Communicative disorders, University of New Mexico
- Doctorate degree in communicative disorders, Wichita State University
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Schodorf has been appointed to these committees:
- Joint Committee on Arts and Cultural Resources, Vice Chair
- Confirmation Oversight
- Education, Chair
- Interstate Cooperation
- Joint Committee on Legislative Educational Planning, Chair
- Ways and Means
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Schodorf served on these committees:
- Joint Committee on Arts and Cultural Resources (Chair)
- Education (Chair)
- Joint Committee on Legislative Educational Planning (Vice Chair)
- Business & Labor
- Confirmation Oversight
- Interstate Cooperation
- Ways and Means
Legislation sponsored or co-sponsored by Sen. Schodorf includes:
- A resolution opposing relocation of Guantanamo detainees to Kansas.
- A resolution regarding the right to bear arms
On her campaign website, Schodorf outlines her position on three main issues:
- Strong Schools: "Our schools are continually asked to do more with less, but we cannot afford to balance our budget on the backs of our children and teachers. Jean Schodorf recognizes that investing today ensures that our kids and grandkids — the next generation of business, community and religious leaders — will have the skills they need to be successful."
- Economic Development and Jobs: "With a highly skilled workforce and a strong business infrastructure, Wichita is poised for economic growth. But, we must maintain critical elements of that infrastructure in order to protect our aircraft interests and attract new employers to our region."
- Fiscal Responsibility: "During these difficult economic times, we must all do more with less and government is no different. Jean Schodorf helped identify nearly $2 billion in spending cuts over the past few years and she has helped balance the budget every year she has been in office."
- See also: Kansas State Senate elections, 2012
Schodorf is one of eight Republican incumbents that the Kansas Chamber of Commerce Political Action Committee targeted for defeat in 2012. It sees the eight incumbents as being impediments to private sector job creation and has made $1,000 donations and in-kind contributions to the Republican challengers.
|Kansas State Senate, District 25 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Jean Schodorf Incumbent||41.2%||1,949|
On April 20, 2010, Schodorf filed to run for the U.S. House of Representatives.
On November 4, 2008, Schodorf was re-elected to the 25th District Seat in the Kansas State Senate, defeating Hibbard Davis (D). Schodorf raised $49,731 for her campaign, while Davis raised $795.
|Kansas State Senate, District 25 (2008)|
|Jean Schodorf (R)||16,016||62.6%|
|Hibbard Davis (D)||9,530||37.3%|
In 2008 Schodorf collected $49,731 in donations.
Her four largest contributors were:
|Kansas Association of Realtors||$2,000|
|Kansas National Education Association||$2,000|
|Kansas Contractors Association||$1,900|
|Kansas Republican Senatorial Committee||$1,800|
Kansas Economic Freedom Index
The Kansas Economic Freedom Index is a project of Bob Weeks, creator of the blog Voice For Liberty in Wichita. The purpose of the Index "is to identify Kansas legislators who vote in favor of economic freedom — and those who don’t." Legislators receive a rating from 0-100 percent based on their votes on bills promoting economic freedom.
Jean Schodorf received a rating of 18% on the 2010 Kansas Economic Freedom Index.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Jean + Schodorf + Kansas + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Schodorf has three children. She and her brother Bill operate the family farm in Independence.
- Official campaign website
- Kansas State Senate Website
- Project Vote Smart Bio
- Project Vote Smart Legislative Profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008
- State Surge Profile
- Jean Schodorf on Facebook
- Jean Schodorf on Twitter
- Governing.com, "Kansas State Sen. Schodorf to Switch Party," September 4, 2012
- Jean for Kansas, "About," accessed July 26, 2012
- SR 1606
- SR 1611
- Jean for Kansas, "Issues," accessed July 26, 2012
- Lawrence Journal World, "Business lobby, aided by $36,000 from Koch Industries, targets eight Republican incumbents in state Senate for defeat," January 10, 2012
- Kansas Secretary of State, "Candidates for the 2012 Primary (official)," retrieved July 4, 2012.
- C-SPAN, "Kansas - Summary Vote Results," retrieved August 7, 2012.
- KTKA, "Kansas state senator files in 4th District race," April 20, 2010
- 2008 Kansas Election Results
- Kansas State Senate, 2008 Money Raised
- Jean Schodorf 2008 campaign contributions
- Kansas Economic Freedom Index, "Homepage," accessed January 13, 2012
- Kansas Economic Freedom Index, "2010 Kansas Economic Freedom Index," May 18, 2010
|Kansas Senate District 25
| Succeeded by|