|Virginia Senate District 8|
|2010 - Present|
|January 11, 2012|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||January 12, 2010|
|First elected||January 12, 2010|
|Next general||November 8, 2011|
|Bachelor's||University of Kentucky|
|Place of birth||Paducah, KY|
|Profession||Retired business owner|
McWaters received a B.A. in Accounting at the University of Kentucky. In the 1980s, McWaters worked for CIGNA and Earnst & Young. In 1994, he founded AMERIGROUP, a company a served as CEO for until 2007.
In addition to serving as senator McWaters is also a member of the Trinity Church in Virginia Beach, where he serves as an elder.
McWaters represents Virginia Senate District 8. Senate District 8 includes the eastern half of Virginia Beach(part).
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
McWaters is running for re-election to the District 8 seat of the Virginia State Senate. He won unopposed in the August 23 primary and is running unopposed in the November 8 general election.
|Virginia Senate, District 8 (2010)|
|Jeffrey McWaters (R)||8,052||78.58%|
|Bill Fleming (D)||2,185||21.32%|
McWaters' campaign website lists the following issues:
- Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "As your State Senator, he will apply the lessons he learned as CEO of a company that brought 1,700 jobs and $5 billion in revenue to the Virginia Beach area."
- Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "Jeff McWaters is a life-long sportsman and a strong supporter of the Second Amendment."
- Right to Life
- Excerpt: "Jeff McWaters believes in the words of the Declaration of Independence—that the right to life is "unalienable"—and that it ought to be legally protected from conception to grave."
- Health Care
- Excerpt: "Health Care reform is the signature issue of Jeff McWater’s State Senate campaign. He has spent his professional career facilitating cost-effective changes that provide more people better coverage using fewer government dollars.
- Excerpt: "Jeff understands that a solution will require creative new thinking, the rejection of political blame games and a willingness to make tough choices. Nice-sounding platitudes will not get the job done. Jeff has developed a six-part plan to address our transportation failures with a special emphasis on the needs of Hampton Roads."
- Excerpt: "As a State Senator, Jeff will work hard to ensure that Virginia’s education system is second-to-none. In fact, with a mom, wife and daughter who have all served as teachers, it’s fair to say that the importance of this issue is in his blood.
- Taxes & Spending
- Excerpt: "Jeff believes that small government and low taxes leave room for a robust private sector."
McWaters was born in Paducah, Kentucky.
- Jeff McWaters' personal website
- Biography from the Virginia State Legislature
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Official State Senate Page
- Jeff McWaters on Facebook
- Jeff McWaters on Twitter
- McWatersForSenate's YouTube Channel
|Virginia Senate District 8
| Succeeded by|