|U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security|
|Elections and appointments|
|Nominated||October 18, 2013|
|Confirmed||December 16, 2013|
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|General Counsel for the Department of Defense|
|General Counsel for the Department of the Air Force|
|Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York|
|J.D.||Columbia Law School|
|Date of birth||September 11, 1957|
|Place of birth||New York, New York|
He previously served as general counsel for the Pentagon and for the Air Force, as well as being a private practice attorney.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Johnson's academic, professional and political career:
- 1979: Graduated from Morehouse College
- 1982: Earned J.D. from Columbia Law School
- 1984-1988: Attorney at a private practice
- 1989-1991: Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York
- 1992-1998: Attorney at Paul Weiss
- 1998-2001: General Counsel at Department of the Air Force
- 2001-2008: Attorney at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, LLP
- 2008-2012: General Counsel at Department of Defense
|Jeh Johnson confirmation vote, December 16, 2013|
|Party||Votes for||Votes against||Total votes|
Hold on nomination
Sen. Chuck Grassley announced on November 20, 2013, that he placed a hold on Johnson's nomination for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). He said he had no plan to relent until Johnson provided him with key information about his views on immigration.
“We asked if he would cooperate with us on oversight matters and work with us to improve immigration policies going forward,” Grassley said. “We have not yet received a response from Mr. Johnson.”
Grassley and five other senators sent a letter to Johnson on November 15, 2013, asking him a wide variety of questions on immigration policy and oversight issues at the Department of Homeland Security.
|U.S. Department of Homeland Security Annual Budget|
|Year||Budget (in billions)||% Difference from previous year|
- Note: 2014 only represents the Department's budget request, not an enacted budget.
Johnson is married with three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Jeh + Johnson + Homeland + Security
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Huffington Post, "Jeh Johnson, Obama DHS Pick, Has Dealt With Weighty National Security Issues," October 18, 2013
- GovTrack, "On the Nomination: Jeh Johnson," December 16, 2013
- Las Vegas Sun, "Biographical information for Jeh C. Johnson," October 22, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Politico, "Chuck Grassley puts hold on DHS nominee," accessed November 21, 2013
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security, "DHS Budget," accessed January 31, 2014
- Politico, "10 things to know about Jeh Johnson," October 18, 2013