Karpen is a Licensed Professional Counselor who works as a therapist with troubled youth at a residential treatment center in Chicago. He volunteers as a Partner Abuse Intervention Facilitator at a domestic violence agency.
He is a member of the Chicago Metropolitan Battered Women's Network and an Associate member of the Illinois Psychological Association.
Karpen is the treasurer of the Logan Square Green Party, which is a local affiliate of the Illinois Green Party.
Karpen received his Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, Philosophy, and Legal Studies from Macalester College in Saint Paul, Minnesota and his Master's in Forensic Psychology from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology.
Karpen says that his goal if he is elected is, "I am seeking the opportunity to develop and implement policies that empower a generation to transcend mere survival and begin the process of healing our communities."
Karpen has a specific agenda in each of these areas:
- Tax Reform and Modernization
- Karpen says, "We need serious and comprehensive tax reform in order to fully fund education, healthcare, the pension system, social services, public transportation, and to start putting Illinois back to work." He recommends implementing a graduated income tax structure by "raising personal and corporate income taxes by 2% while tripling the Earned-Income Tax Credit (EITC) and doubling the residential property tax credit." Karpen also recommends that Illinois "begin taxing segments of our massive service economy. The average state in the U.S. taxes 55 of 168 services. In Illinois, where services account for 77% of our states economic activity, we currently only tax 17 services (12 of which are utilities). The base of our economy has shifted from goods to services and our taxation system needs to follow suit or continue to suffer from drastic shortfalls."
- TIF Reform
- Jobs and Economic Development
- Health Care Reform
- Housing and Wages
- Clean Politics and Public Service
- Clean Energy
- Marriage Equality
- Jeremy Karpen's campaign website
- Complete 2010 General Election candidate list
- February 2, 2010 primary election results
- Karpen's facebook
- Karpen's twitter
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found