Difference between revisions of "Jim Himes"
|Line 224:||Line 224:|
Revision as of 15:01, 17 December 2012
|James A. Himes|
|U.S. House, Connecticut, District 4|
|January 3, 2009-Present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|High school||Hopewell Valley Central High School|
|Birthday||July 5, 1966|
|Place of birth||Lima, Peru|
|Profession||Affordable Housing Executive|
Himes was running in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Connecticut's 4th District. Himes was seeking re-election on the Democratic ticket. Chris Meek, Steve Obsitnik, and David Orner ran as Republicans. The signature filing deadline for candidates wishing to run was June 12, 2012. The primary elections were held on August 14, 2012.
Born in Lima, Peru to American parents, he spent the early years of his childhood in Peru and Colombia while his father worked for the Ford Foundation and UNICEF. At the age of ten, Jim moved with his mother and sister to the United States. Jim graduated from Hopewell Valley Central High School and then attended Harvard University. After completing his undergraduate work in 1988, Jim earned a Rhodes Scholarship, which enabled him to attend Oxford University in England where he continued his studies of Latin America, including research in El Salvador. He earned his M. Phil. in 1990.
- 2009-Present: U.S. House of Representatives, Connecticut's 4th congressional district
- 2003-2009: Enterprise Foundation/Enterprise Community Partners
- 2007-2009: Vice President
- 2002-2004: Commissioner of Greenwich Housing Authority
- 1990-2003: Goldman Sachs, Vice President
- Board member for:
- Aspira of Connecticut
- Fairfield County Community Foundation
- Family Assets, LLC (Advisory Board Member)
- Greenwich Board of Estimate and Taxation (Elected Member)
- Greenwich Democratic Town Committee Chair
U.S. House of Representatives
Himes serves on the following committees:
- Financial Services Committee
- Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance, and Government-Sponsored Enterprises
- Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
Himes was running in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Connecticut's 4th District. Himes was seeking re-election on the Democratic ticket. Chris Meek, Steve Obsitnik, and David Orner ran as Republicans. The signature filing deadline for candidates wishing to run was June 12, 2012. The primary elections were held on August 14, 2012. He defeated Steve Obsitnik on November 6, 2012.
|U.S. House, Connecticut District 4 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Jim Himes Incumbent||60%||175,929|
|Source: Connecticut Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|Jim Himes (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2012||$1,022,847.34||$389,483.16||$(100,732.76)||$1,311,597.74|
|Pre-Convention||May 2, 2012||$1,311,597.74||$92,753.67||$(45,979.21)||$1,358,372.20|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2012||$1,358,372.20||$461,469.08||$(122,121.77)||$1,697,719.51|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Connecticut's 4th Congressional District, 2010 - Jim Himes Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$1,965,915|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$1,961,841|
|Top contributors to Jim Himes's campaign committee|
|Brown Brothers Harriman & Co||$19,200|
|Metropolitan Museum of Art||$19,200|
|Pullman & Comley||$18,850|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Securities & Investment||$495,630|
Congressional Staff Salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Himes paid his congressional staff a total of $971,798 in 2011. He ranks 59th on the list of the lowest paid Democratic Representative Staff Salaries and he ranks 231st overall of the lowest paid Representative Staff Salaries in 2011. Overall, Connecticut ranks 4th in average salary for representative staff. The average U.S. House of Representatives congressional staff was paid $954,912.20 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Himes' net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $2,603,051 and $6,045,000. That averages to $4,324,025.50, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Representatives in 2010 of $4,465,875.
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, James A. Himes has voted with the Democratic Party 89 of the time, which ranked 151 among the 192 House Democratic members as of November 2011.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Jim + Himes + Connecticut + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=Jim+Himes+Connecticut+House&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=Jim Himes News Feed
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- CT Post.com "Himes faces growing field of challengers" Accessed December 2, 2011
- ABC News "2012 General Election Results"
- Gov Track "Himes" Accessed May 18, 2012
- Jim Himes "About Jim" Accessed October 15, 2011
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress "HIMES, James A., (1966 - )"
- Jim Himes, Representing Connecticut's Fourth District "About Jim"
- ABC News "2012 General Election Results"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- FEC Reports "Jim Himes Summary Report" Accessed July 19, 2012
- FEC Reports "April Quarterly" Accessed July 19, 2012
- FEC Reports "Pre-Convention" Accessed July 19, 2012
- FEC Reports "July Quarterly" Accessed July 19, 2012
- Open Secrets "James A. Himes 2010 Election Cycle," Accessed November 8, 2011
- LegiStorm "Jim Himes"
- OpenSecrets.org, "Himes, (D-Conn), 2010"
- OpenCongress "Voting With Party"
|U.S. House of Representatives - Connecticut, District 4
| Succeeded by|