|Illinois State Senate District 25|
|2013 - Present|
|January 11, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|High school||Marmion Military Academy|
|Bachelor's||University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana|
|Master's||University of Chicago|
|Date of birth||June 10, 1946|
|Place of birth||Aurora, IL|
|Profession||Chairman, Oberweis Dairy|
Oberweis earned his B.A. from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana and his M.B.A from the University Of Chicago Graduate School of Business. His professional experience includes working as a teacher at Waldo Junior High School and as a mutual fund manager.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Oberweis served on the following committees:
|Illinois Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Appropriations I|
|• Committee of the Whole|
|• Labor and Commerce|
|• Local Government|
|• Public Health|
|• Legislative Audit Commission|
On his campaign website, Oberweis details three main issues:
- Term Limits:
- Excerpt: "In order to return to our Founding Fathers’ original notion of a citizen legislature, I support term limits for all members of the Illinois General Assembly. I believe individual state Representatives should be limited to serving a maximum of four two-year terms, and I believe individual state Senators should be limited to serving two four-year terms."
- Taxes and Spending:
- Excerpt: "Massive overspending and over-borrowing by the state government isn’t important just because it fuels higher taxes, it’s important because it crowds out private investment and makes it difficult for job creators to do their thing."
- More and Better Jobs:
- Excerpt: "We must reform our tax code; repeal the job-killing tax hikes on personal and corporate income, death taxes, and business losses enacted by the lame duck legislature; reform our workmen’s compensation system to bring it in line with our neighboring states; and continue to reform our tort laws if we want businesses once again to invest capital to grow jobs in Illinois."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Oberweis won election in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 25. Oberweis defeated Dave Richmond and Richard Slocum in the March 20 Republican primary and defeated Corinne Pierog (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012. Incumbent Chris Lauzen (R) did not run for re-election in District 25.
|Illinois State Senate, District 25, General Election, 2012|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
Oberweis and his wife, Julie, have five children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jim + Oberweis + Illinois + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Jim Oberweis on Facebook
- Jim Oberweis on Twitter
- Jim Oberweis on YouTube
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2006
- Jim Oberweis for State Senate, "About," accessed January 4, 2011
- Jim Oberweis for State Senate, "Solutions," accessed January 4, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed December 31, 2012
Chris Lauzen (R)
|Illinois Senate District 23
| Succeeded by|