|Wisconsin State Assembly District 8|
|2011 - Present|
|January 5, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|High school||St. Joan Antida|
|Bachelor's||University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (2005)|
|Place of birth||Milwaukee, WI|
Zamarripa is a graduate of St. Joan Antida and the UW- Milwaukee. Before being elected, she worked as an educator and Community Outreach Coordinator for Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Zamarripa served on the following committees:
|Wisconsin Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Campaigns and Elections|
|• Jobs, Economy and Mining|
|• Public Safety and Homeland Security|
|• State Affairs|
During the 2011-2012 legislative session, Zamarripa served on these committees:
|Wisconsin Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Homeland Security and State Affairs|
|• Public Health and Public Safety|
|• Ways and Means|
Zamarripa lists the following issues as campaign priorities on her official campaign website:
Excerpt: "This past November, I passed my first bill and I am very proud to be able to say that it was a bipartisan effort. Senate Bill 259 (SB 259), that creates the office of Milwaukee County Comptroller, was signed into law as 2011 Wisconsin Act 62 on November 11, 2011."
- Budgeting & Finance
Excerpt: "We need a budget process that is more open and honest than we’ve seen in the past. I know that in tough economic times, tough decision must be made. However, we cannot balance budgets off the backs of working families. I will continue to push for budgets that truly 'share the sacrifice'."
- Crime Prevention
Excerpt: "As the State Representative of the 8th District, I will continue to work with the Milwaukee Police Department to make sure that they have the resources they need to keep our community safe. I would also like to outline clear expectations for these resources and hold the Department accountable for meeting community expectations."
- Health Care
"Excerpt: "Wisconsin used to lead the nation in access to quality affordable health care. As a candidate for the Assembly in 2010, I strongly supported programs such as BadgerCare and SeniorCare."
- K-12 Education & Higher Education
Excerpt: "I will work to make sure that tax dollars for education are used wisely and that any school receiving public dollars, whether it be MPS or a voucher/choice school, is meeting expectations and is held accountable; I will continue to push for more funding for our universities and technical colleges."
- Redistricting Issues
Excerpt: "There must be a public voice in any redistricting process and that partisan politics must be taken out of the process."
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2012
Zamarripa won re-election in the 2012 election for Wisconsin State Assembly District 8. Zamarripa defeated Laura Manriquez in the Democratic primary on August 14 and was unopposed in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 8, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||JoCasta Zamarripa Incumbent||98.3%||7,869|
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 8 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|JoCasta Zamarripa Incumbent||66.7%||599|
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2010
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 8 General Election (2010)|
|JoCasta Zamarripa (D)||4,287|
|Ramona Rivas (I)||678|
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 8 Democratic primary (2010)|
|JoCasta Zamarripa (D)||755||52.43%|
|Angel Sanchez (D)||443||30.76%|
|Laura Manriquez (D)||238||16.53%|
Zamarripa lists her top priorities as:
- "Investing in our youth through education.
- Making our community safer by decreasing crime
- Providing property tax relief to home owners"
- ...strong leadership to protect and bring jobs to Milwaukee"
Comprehensive donor information for Zamarripa is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Zamarripa raised a total of $48,534 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 5, 2013.
|JoCasta Zamarripa's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Wisconsin State Assembly, District 8||$25,967|
|2010||Wisconsin State Assembly, District 8||$22,567|
|Grand Total Raised||$48,534|
2012Zamarripa won re-election to the Wisconsin State Assembly in 2012. During that election cycle, Zamarripa raised a total of $25,967.
|Wisconsin State Assembly 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to JoCasta Zamarripa's campaign in 2012|
|Wisconsin Federation Of Nurses & Health Professionals||$500|
|Wisconsin Wholesale Beer Distributors||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$25,967|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Zamarripa won election to the Wisconsin State Assembly in 2010. During that election cycle, Zamarripa raised a total of $22,567.
|Wisconsin State Assembly 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to JoCasta Zamarripa's campaign in 2010|
|Pasch, Sandra K||$500|
|Milwaukee Teachers Education Association||$500|
|Thomsen, Grace A||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$22,567|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Zamarripa is not married.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "JoCasta + Zamarripa + Wisconsin + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rep. Jessie Rodriguez sworn in as Wisconsin's second Latina lawmaker - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (blog)
- Anti-Latino remarks by Walker aide blasted - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (blog)
- Wisconsin Republicans Roll Anti-Democratic Measures Through Assembly - PR Watch
- Hispanics Could Be Critical in Governor's Race - urbanmilwaukee
- Wisconsin GOP aims to scrap weekend voting - MSNBC
- Two Latinas in the Legislature, one from each party - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (blog)
- Voter ID, Other Elections Bills Head to Assembly Floor - MacIverInstitute
- Out candidate seeks Assembly seat in Nov. 19 special election - Wisconsin Gazette
- Bill to soften voter ID requirement for the poor gets mixed reviews in hearing - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- JoCasta Zamarripa on the Wisconsin State Assembly website
- JoCasta Zamarripa's biography on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Zamarripa on Facebook
- Zamarippa on Twitter
- Official Campaign Website
- Wisconsin Vote.org-JoCasta Zamarripa
- ↑ Wisconsin State Legislature, " 2013 Assembly Resolution 1," January 7, 2013
- ↑ Jocasta Zamarripa Official Campaign Website, "Issues," accessed August 10, 2012
- ↑ Wisconsin Department of Elections - Official Primary Results
- ↑ Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Candidates on Ballot by Election - 2012 Partisan Primary 8/14/2012," retrieved June 12, 2012
- ↑ Official GAB primary results
- ↑ followthemoney.org, "Zamarripa, Jocasta," accessed June 5, 2013
|Wisconsin State Assembly District 8
| Succeeded by|
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |
Wisconsin Supreme Court | Courts of Appeal | Circuit Courts | Municipal Courts | Wisconsin Commission Appointed Judicial Method Proposal | Wisconsin Judicial Commission | Wisconsin Supreme Court elections | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |