Jo Ann Toczek recall, Linndale, Ohio (2013)
An effort to recall Jo Ann Toczek from her position as mayor of Linndale, Ohio was launched in June 2013. Toczek resigned from her position effective July 31, 2013, however it was not clear whether the resignation was in part due to the recall effort. Village Council President Ashlee McLaughlin, a criminal defense lawyer and lifelong resident of the town, became Toczek's successor.
The recall effort was started after Mayor Toczek became absent from many of her duties due to illness.
The recall petition that was being circulated read:
|“||We, the undersigned qualified electors, hereby request an election to recall and for the election of a successor to Mayor Jo Ann Toczek because she has been unable to perform her duties due to serious health issues. Mayor Toczek has been absent from over 25% of Council proceedings in the previous two years, and has been hospitalized multiple times in recent months. Furthermore, Mayor Toczek recently relinquished her mayoral duties indefinitely to other officials due to her health issues.||”|
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Ohio
Twenty residents signed a recall petition against Toczek in June and July. The local elections board, however, ruled the petition invalid; Linndale does not provide for recall it its town charter.
- Cleveland.com, "Linndale mayor resigns, citing illness, after a power struggle that included a petition for recall: Michael K. McIntyre's Tipoff," July 19, 2013
- Cleveland.com, "Linndale, the tiny village known for its highway speed trap, swears in a new mayor who must deal with a cash crunch: Michael K. McIntyre's Tipoff," August 8, 2013
- documentcloud.org, "linndale mayor jo ann toczeks resignation letter", Accessed: August 19, 2013
- documentcloud.org, "Petition for Recall of Elected Officer," Accessed August 19, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Ohio
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Superintendent of Industrial Compliance and Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |