Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Michigan House of Representatives District 45|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Romeo High School|
|Bachelor's||Central Michigan University|
|Profession||Small business owner/saleswoman/marketer|
VanRaaphorst is a partner in her husband's periodontal practice, which the two purchased in 1991 and expanded to a full-time office. She has over twenty years of experience in sales and marketing, working for Holiday Inn, Sheraton, the Ann Arbor Convention and Visitors Bureau, and Crittenton Hospital Medical Center.
VanRaaphorst, a 1977 graduate of Romeo High School, has a B.A. in business marketing from Central Michigan University (1981).
VanRaaphorst's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Business and Jobs
- Excerpt: "As our state representative, I will focus of my time on working for a strong local and Statewide economy. We need to continue to streamline government to make it friendly for new businesses as well as existing businesses."
- Excerpt: "I will support our public schools as it is critical to the success of our children, community and our State. My focus is to support legislation that provides adequate, stable funding for early childhood through college or technical school education."
Less Government and More Local Control
- Excerpt: "I believe communities should have control over laws that govern us. We need a strong advocate in Lansing who will fight for our right to self govern. It is critical that local communities have the resources needed for safety and infrastructure needs."
Elections for the office of Michigan House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 22, 2014. Joanna VanRaaphorst was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Michael Webber defeated Mark Avery and Lana Mangiapane in the Republican primary. Webber defeated VanRaaphorst in the general election.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 45 General Election, 2014|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 45 Republican Primary, 2014|
VanRaaphorst ran in the 2012 election for Michigan House of Representatives District 45. She defeated Ted Golden and Douglas Wilson in the August 7 Democratic primary and was defeated by incumbent Tom McMillin (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 45, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Tom McMillin Incumbent||56%||25,972|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 45 Democratic Primary, 2012|
VanRaaphorst's husband, Paul, is a periodontist; they have a son who graduated from Oakland University in 2012, and a daughter studying at Albion College. She lists swimming, biking, tutoring, and cross-country skiing as activities.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joanna + VanRaaphorst + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Michigan House of Representatives
- Michigan House of Representatives District 45
- Michigan House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Michigan State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Joanna VanRaaphorst on Facebook
- Joanna VanRaaphorst on YouTube
- Committee to Elect Joanna VanRaaphorst, "About Joanna," February 17, 2012. Retrieved August 6, 2012
- Joanna VanRaaphorst, Campaign Facebook page, accessed August 6, 2012
- "joannaforrochester," Official Campaign Website
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed August 6, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed December 5, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed May 27, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan General Candidate Listing," accessed September 8, 2014
- Michigan Department of State, "2012 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed June 6, 2012
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |