|Alaska Commissioner of Natural Resources|
|September 25, 2013 - present|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||September 25, 2013|
|Appointed by||Governor of Alaska Sean Parnell (R)|
|High school||Ben Eielson High School|
Alaska commissioners of natural resources serve unfixed terms at the pleasure of the sitting governor. On September 11, 2013, Sullivan announced he was stepping down from the commissioner's post. In his resignation letter to Gov. Parnell, Sullivan cited vague plans "to explore new opportunities and challenges in the next phase of my life." Sullivan's decision underlined preexisting speculation that the nonpartisan commissioner was preparing to launch a campaign for the 2014 Republican nomination to unseat Democratic U.S. Sen. Mark Begich. Sullivan's resignation became effective September 24, 2013 and Balash was appointed to take over the position the following day.
Balash was raised in an Air Force family. He attended Ben Eileson High School in Fairbanks, Alaska. Balash graduated with his bachelor's degree in political science and government from Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon.
Balash previously served in the governor's office as special assistant on energy and natural resource development. Prior to that, he worked on the joint Legislative Budget and Audit Committee. He also served as Chief of Staff to the Senate President.
- Ben Eileson High School
- B.A. in political science and government - Pacific University
Acting Alaska Commissioner of Natural Resources (2013-present)
Balash is married and has two daughters.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joe + Balash + Alaska + Natural + Resources"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alaska Department of Natural Resources, "Acting Commissioner Joe Balash," accessed September 27, 2013
- Alaska Legal Resource Center, "Alaska Statutes 39.05.030," accessed June 5, 2011
- Department of Natural Resources, Commissioners Officce, "Letter of resignation to Governor Sean Parnell," sent September 11, 2013
- Alaska Dispatch, "Natural Resources Commissioner Dan Sullivan to resign; will he run?," September 12, 2013
Daniel S. Sullivan
|Alaska Commissioner of Natural Resources
| Succeeded by|