Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, New York, District 17|
|Master's||New York University and Harvard University|
|Place of birth||Port Chester, New York|
Carvin is a hedge fund manager and town supervisor for the town of Rye, New York.
Carvin holds a bachelors in international relations a masters in business administration from New York University and a masters in public administration from Harvard University. He worked in Senegal for the United States Agency for International Development and then worked in banking.
Carvin lists his campaign themes on his website:
- "United States Budget Agenda
- U.S. Jobs Crisis
- Political courage-leadership and common sense solutions at a moment of truth
- Military Preparedness
- Immigration reform
- Social Issues
Carvin ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing New York's 17th District. He is seeking the nomination on the Republican and Conservative tickets, and defeated James Russell in the June 26 Republican primary. He will face incumbent Nita Lowey (D) in the November 6, 2012, general election.
U.S. Representative Bob Turner endorsed Carvin over Russell, stating that Russell is an "extremist" "who has been categorically disavowed by Republican and Conservative leaders for what has widely been deemed White Separatist and anti-Semitic views."
A local news source reports, "Carvin cut spending from $4.1 million to $3.3 million in his first year in office." Even so, Carvin diverges from the Republican norm on some issues. Carvin, along with Russell, are pro-choice and favor parental notification. He also says he won't take a "no tax-increases" pledge, and seeks more intense regulations of banks.
|Joe Carvin Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2012||$0||$1,075,516.99||$(21,227.05)||$1,084,289.94|
|July Quarterly||July 13, 2012||$1,013,250.89||$14,439.95||$(124,509.25)||$903,181.59|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2012||$903,181.59||$97,122.54||$(195,382.25)||$804,921.88|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Joe + Carvin + New York + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- The Examiner News "Primary Preview: Carvin vs. Russell for GOP’s 17th C.D. Nod," June 22, 2012
- Campaign website "About"
- Campaign website "Issues"
- AP/CSPAN "New York-Summary Vote Report," June 26, 2012
- Rockland Journal News "Turner endorses Carvin for Congress," June 18, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Joe Carvin's April Quarterly Report," Accessed October 16, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Joe Carvin's July Quarterly Report," Accessed October 16, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Joe Carvin's October Quarterly Report," Accessed October 16, 2012
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |