|Virginia House of Delegates District 4|
|1990 - Present|
|Years in position||25|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 3, 2009|
|Next general||November 8, 2011|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||4|
|Date of birth||12/12/1931|
|Place of birth||Washington County, VA|
Prior to his election to the House, Johnson served as a Substitute Judge for the Twenty-eighth General District Court from 1971-1989. He was also in the United States Air Force from 1951-1955. 
- Commerce and Labor
- Subcommittee #2
- Special Subcommittee on Energy
- Courts of Justice
- Civil Law Subcommittee
- Judicial Systems Subcommittee
- Subcommittee #1
- Subcommittee #3
- Joint Rules
- HB 1821 Concealed handguns; prohibited from carrying onto premises of restaurants and consuming alcohol.
- HB 1822 Handguns; exempts permit holders from prohibition against carrying onto school property.
- HB 2005 Charter; City of Bristol.
- HB 2559 Homestead exemption; increases for householders who are 65 years of age or older.
On November 8, 2011, Johnson won re-election to District 4 of the Virginia House of Delegates. He obtained the Democratic nomination and ran unopposed in the November 8 general election.
On November 3, 2009, Johnson won re-election to the 4th District Seat in the Virginia House of Delegates.
Johnson raised $17,844 for his campaign. 
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 4 (2009)|
|Joseph P Johnson Jr (D)||12,967||97.5%|
The top 5 donors to Johnson's 2009 campaign:
|Alpha Natural Resources||$5,000|
|Virginia Dental Association||$1,500|
- Virginia House of Delegates - Rep. Johnson
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions:2009, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2001, 1999
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Richmond Sunlight profile
|Virginia House of Delegates District 4
| Succeeded by|
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |