|Washington State Senate District 34|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
McDermott earned his BA in History/Political Science from Gonzaga University. He went on to earn his MPA in Public Administration from the University of Washington.
McDermott has worked as an instructor for South Seattle Community College. He has also worked as Senior Budget Analyst for the Seattle School District. He is a member of the staff of Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney, John Ladenburg.
- Early Learning & K-12 Education Committee, Washington State Senate
- Financial Institutions, Housing & Insurance Committee, Washington State Senate
- Government Operations, Tribal Relations & Elections Committee, Washington State Senate
- Ways and Means Committee, Washington State Senate
McDermott did not run for re-election in 2010.
On November 4, 2008, McDermott ran unopposed and was re-elected for the 34th District of the Washington State Senate receiving 49,203 votes.
McDermott raised $108,079 for his campaign.
|Washington State Senate, District 34 (2008)|
|Joe McDermott (D)||49,203|
In 2008, McDermott collected $108,079 in donations.
Listed below are the top four contributors to his campaign. 
|Robert M. Eichler||$1,600|
|Eli Lilly & Co.||$1,600|
|Community Health Network of Washington||$1,600|
|Washington State Council of County & City Employees||$1,600|
McDermott resides in West Seattle where he lives with his partner, Michael.
- Joe McDermott on the Washington State Senate website
- McDermott state-sponsored website
- Legislative profile of McDermott on Project Vote Smart
- Biographical profile of McDermott on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000
- Campaign website
- Washington Votes record of McDermott's votes on Washington legislation
|Washington Senate District 34
| Succeeded by|