|Mississippi Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce|
|Bachelor's||Millsaps College (1973)|
|Date of birth||July 20, 1951|
|Place of birth||St. Joseph, Missouri|
|Profession||Mayor of Pickens|
Gill is the Chief Financial Officer, Managing Partner and cattle buyer with Mississippi Order Buyers, Incorporated.
He previously ran for the US House of Representatives in 2008 and 2010. Gill served as an alderman for the town of Pickens from 1989-1993 and 2005-2009.
- BS, Physics/Astronomy, Millsaps College, 1973
|Mississippi Commissioner of Agriculture, 2011|
|Reform||Cathy L. Toole||2.5%||21,347|
|Election Results via Mississippi Secretary of State|
On his campaign website Gill lists 11 issues he is concerned about:
- Genetically Modified Crops
- Excerpt: "While these crops are fine for those who want to grow them, they still require further study."
- EPA Regulations
- Excerpt: "there are times when the EPA, an agency created to protect the environment, takes actions that may harm the economy in return for very little added environmental protection. Regulations such as the proposed "Dust control" rule, will only cripple agricultural and business operations and should be opposed by this office."
- Proposed GIPSA Rule
- Excerpt: "The GIPSA rule will allow our producers a CHANCE to prosper if they are willing to work.The GIPSA rule will put a referee on the field to make sure the smallest producer has the same opportunities for profit and protection against abuse as the larger corporate interests."
- International Corporate Farming
- Excerpt: "The trade we currently engage in may be free trade, but it is certainly not fair trade. Any future agreements must be carefully reviewed to protect US interests and the agreements currently in place should be re-evaluated."
- Food Inspection
- Excerpt: "The USDA inspects very few samples so it is left to the State of Mississippi to make sure our food supply is safe. I am deeply concerned about these responsibilities, and I pledge to continue a vigorous testing and inspection policy to insure that the safety of the Mississippi public is the foremost concern of food retailers."
- Private Property Rights (Eminent Domain)
- Excerpt: "Your property is your property and as such, anyone wanting to build a more upscale entity should pay you fair market value for your land if you are willing to sell."
- Country of Origin Labeling
- Excerpt: "as Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce, I will make sure the labeling law is enforced."
- Mississippi Promotion
- Excerpt: "All of our producers work hard to provide their customers the very best products and this easily accomplished labeling will allow you as a consumer to support your friends, neighbors, and fellow Mississippians with your purchases."
- Excerpt: Agri-tourism "is an incredible opportunity for those in rural MS to open their doors to their urban neighbors and allow them to experience the bounty we all too often take for granted."
- Mandatory Animal ID
- Excerpt: "This should only apply for heath reasons, and then only to the adult breeding population."
- Regulatory Responsibilities