John Archer (Iowa 2)
|U.S. House, Iowa, District 2|
|Bachelor's||Illinois Wesleyan Univeristy|
|Master's||University of Iowa|
|J.D.||Southern Illinois University School of Law|
|Profession||Senior Legal Counsel at Deere & Company|
John Archer was a 2012 Republican candidate who sought election to the U.S. House to represent the 2nd Congressional District of Iowa. Archer defeated Dan Dolan in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012, but lost the general election to incumbent Dave Loebsack. 
Archer was born and raised in Springfield, Illinois.
- Illinois Wesleyan Univeristy, B.A in Political Science and Business Administration, cum laude
- Southern Illinois University School of Law, cum laude
- University of Iowa, MBA from the Tippie School of Management
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Benjamin K. Miller, Supreme Court, Illinois
- Senior Counsel at Deere & Company
- Part owner of The Schebler Company, a Bettendorf, Iowa based manufacturer
Archer's prior office positions include:
- 2009-Present: Pleasant Valley Community School Board of Education
- 2010-Present: Bettendorf Family Museum Board of Trustees
- 2010-Present: Iowa Chapter of the American Corporate Counsel Board 
- 2010-Present: Bettendorf Rotary 
Archer ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Iowa's 2nd District. Archer won the nomination on the Republican ticket.  Archer defeated Dan Dolan in the Republican primary. He then lost to Loebsack in the general election held on November 6, 2012. Candidates wishing to run were required to file by the signature filing deadline of March 16, 2012. The primary elections took place on June 5, 2012.
|U.S. House, Iowa District 2 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Dave Loebsack Incumbent||55.6%||211,863|
|Source: Iowa Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Iowa District 2 Republican Primary, 2012|
Archer's policy positions were outlined in full detail at his campaign website.
- Job creation- "I will focus on creating more employment and lower costs by a combination of a better tax system and a reduction of debt from a smaller, more efficient government."
- Pro-Business Government- "I will work to reduce job-killing taxes, eliminate burdensome laws, repeal Obama's healthcare and focus training those who need it so that they may find the millions of jobs now available for skilled workers."
The following is a TV ad launched by John Archer on Sept. 17, 2012. It is titled "The Next Generation" and briefly outlines his policy positions.
John Archer, "The Next Generation"
|Dave Loebsack vs. John Archer|
|Poll||Dave Loebsack||John Archer||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
|Desmoines Register (June 25 to 27, 2012)||48%||43%||10%||+/-4.9||400|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to email@example.com|
|U.S. House, Iowa District 2, 2012 - John Archer (Iowa 2) Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$1,562,540|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$1,544,561|
|Top contributors to John Archer (Iowa 2)'s campaign committee|
|Eeere & Co||$69,589|
|For America's Republican Majority||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
- Politico "2012 House Race Results"
- KCCI "June 5 Iowa State Primary Results" Accessed June 5, 2012
- Archer for Congress "About John" Accessed March 1, 2012
- The Gazette "Quad Cities attorney to challenge Loebsack" Accessed December 16, 2011
- Iowa Secretary of State "2012 primary results"
- Campaign Website
- Campaign Website
- Campaign Website
- YouTube channel
- OpenSecrets "2012 Election" Accessed March 23, 2013