John B. Coghill
|John Coghill Jr.|
|Alaska State Senate District 6|
| Assumed office|
| Current term ends|
January 24, 2015
Prior to joining the Alaska State Senate, Coghill was a member of the Alaska House of Representatives, representing the 11th District since 1998. From 2002-2006 he served as Majority Leader. Sean Parnell appointed Coghill to the state senate in 2009.
Coghill has worked as a history teacher and administrative assistant at Bible Baptist Church School, shop foreman at the Alaska Garage Door Manufacturer, and a salesman with the Fraley Equipment Company.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Coghill has been appointed to these committees:
- Judiciary Committee, Alaska Senate
- Select Committee on Legislative Ethics, Alaska State Senate
- Finance Subcommittees:
- Subcommittee on Health and Social Services
Coghill's answers to the Alaska State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test are available. The test provides voters with how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected. He did not provide a response when asked his top legislative priorities.
- HB 34 - "An Act relating to partial-birth abortions."
- HB 35 - "An Act relating to notice and consent for a minor's abortion; relating to penalties for performing an abortion; relating to a judicial bypass procedure for an abortion; relating to coercion of a minor to have an abortion; and relating to reporting of abortions performed on minors."
- HB 193 - "An Act relating to representation by a legislator or legislative employee of another person in an administrative hearing; relating to charity events under the Legislative Ethics Act; requiring compensation of public members of the Select Committee on Legislative Ethics; exempting certain information from disclosure requirements of the Legislative Ethics Act."
- See also: Alaska State Senate elections, 2010
Coghill won re-election to the District F Seat in 2010. He had no opposition in the November 2 general election.
Coghill was appointed to the position of Alaska State Senator, District F in 2009.
In 2010, Coghill raised $13,960 in contributions. 
His three largest contributors were:
|Alaska Association Of Realtors||$1,000|
|Associated General Contractors Of Alaska||$1,000|
Below are Coghill's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|AK Auto Dealers Assoc||$1,000|
|Robert C Penney||$1,000|
|Alaska Assoc of Realtors||$1,000|
|Associated General Contractors of AK||$1,000|
Coghill and his wife Luann have three children.
- Official Alaska State Senate website of Senator John Coghill
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- List of primary candidates in Alaska
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Personal blog
|Alaska State Senate District F
| Succeeded by|