|Iowa State Senate District 28|
|Iowa State House District 16|
Beard was a member of the Iowa House of Representatives, representing the 16th District from 2008 to 2010.
Beard is a businessman and farmer.
Beard's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Voter Owned Clean Elections
- Excerpt:"Government will never be the solution to all our problems, but tackling the problems of our complex, modern society can only be done within the framework of government.
We must first make government accountable to the people instead of special interests." Education
- Excerpt:"The seeds of our future are our children, and their future is dependant on a sound education."
- Excerpt:"We must maintain the promise of upward mobility by keeping the rungs of the ladder in reach for those willing to work hard and study hard."
- Excerpt:"Unregulated development hurts the orderly growth of cities and towns strains our infrastructure and often causes traffic and safety issues."
Keep the Wealth
- Excerpt:"I care deeply about the future of farming and farmers and I believe we must develop production models that will attract young farmers."
Beard served on the following committees from 2009-2010:
- Natural Resources (Vice Chair)
- State Government (Vice Chair)
- Subcommittee on Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Beard ran in the 2012 election for Iowa State Senate District 28. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on June 5, 2012 and was defeated by Michael Breitbach in the general election on November 6, 2012. 
|Iowa State Senate, District 28, General Election, 2012|
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 16 General Election (2010)|
|Bob Hager (R)||5,608|
|John Beard (D)||5,349|
On November 4, 2008, Beard was elected to the 16th District Seat in the Iowa House of Representatives, defeating Randy Schissel (R).  Beard raised $158,907 for his campaign, while Schissel raised $104,910. 
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 16|
|John Beard (D)||8,172|
|Randy Schissel (R)||6,348|
In 2008 Beard collected $158,907 in donations.
His four largest contributors were:
|Iowa Democratic Party||$112,869|
|Iowa Trial Lawyers Association||$8,000|
|Great Plains Laborers District Council||$5,000|
Beard and his wife RoJene have one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "John + Beard + Iowa + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- John Beard's Campaign Website
- John Beard's Official Website
- John Beard's Personal Website
- John Beard on the Iowa Legislature Website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2004
- John Beard on Facebook
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Beard
- "beardforiowasenate," Official Campaign Website
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results"
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed April 17, 2012
- Official Iowa House of Representatives General Election Results, 2010
- 2008 Iowa Election results
- Iowa House of Reps., 2008 Money Raised
- 2008 Contributions to John Beard
|Iowa House of Representatives District 16
| Succeeded by|
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |